HybridZ

Turbo Tom Setup - is this price in the ballpark?

Bob_H

Gents,(and ladies),

I have put up the Turbo-Tom setup that was pulled from the Purple Z that was at SEZ 3 and ran 131 mph... I put it for sale here:

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=zClassifieds&file=detail&cat=72&de=779

Here is picture of the entire setup for sale:

482.jpg

I am asking $3500 as I have no idea of its true value. The Turbo Tom setup by itself with a bone stock turbo and carb is likely worth about $1500. However the T-66 turbo and all the other "stuff" should bring the value up. It will be a bolt-on deal for someone to produce more than 400 rwhp and likely over 500 with some tuning,(and maybe several transmissions!).

The torque curve was amazing on this car and as Cleve told me - while it is an antiquated system,(draw through carb), it clearly works very well and has a great power delivery.

Should I be asking more, less or is that about right? I'm not gonna move much from the price as I factored its sale price into my purchase of the car as a whole, (it is getting the RB26dett I bought). But I wanted some feedback on the price as a whole. My personal opinion is it is an incredible deal for a complete package, (minus the shortblock). It even has a virtually brand new turbo.

The previous owner ran bone stock turbo short blocks under this car,(I say blocks as in plural because he did roast one or two while tuning the car/etc... it was road raced extensively).

Sorry, here is my geocities page with some more pics:

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/72Datsun.html

-Bob

Bob good to see ya around here again.

how ya doing?

i think you could ask a tad more but that price seems about right.

thats some CRAZY power out of that motor.

good luck and post pics of the RB swap!

and man o man i still want your exhaust!

mike

it is a lot of money for an unassymbled pile of parts, I've seen complete turbo'd S30's go for around that, just a matter of finding someone that wants a turbo carb set up, myself, I hate carbs and they hate me, that's why I went to the turbo swap, to be rid of those damned SU's :twisted:

Yes, I too have seen complete 240Z/etc.. that were turbo'd for less.

However you are leaving out some very important facts - they used the stock turbo setup/FI, etc.. Which reaches its limitations well before the power levels this can put out. Shoot - for that matter, if someone brings their car up here, I'll help install it for them as it really isn't that hard.

There is one thing they will need to "fabricate" and that is the oil return line to the oil pan. What is also not pictured is the lines for the nitrous from the back of the car to the front. So while it is a "pile of parts", it is similar to a complete kit - no parts missing.

Price is always relative.

-Bob

don't misunderstand me, what I mean is that it is not like one big bolt on, it's a lot of stuff for someone to have to sort out, esp if they have never done anything like that, it's obviously a big power package but it's a lot to deal with

I know there are many people that dislike injection as much as I dislike carbs, I saw the car at one of the SEZ's a year or 2 back, beautiful and very fast

Just a thought, maybe it'd be a bit more attractive if it were all bolted up to a motor and would be a simple swap in, maybe that's not be practicle but I think it might spawn more interest