HybridZ

Which intake/exhaust manifold gasket to use?

Guest 2slo4u

Hello all. Been trying to find a vacumm leak lately and still unsuccessful. Soon, I will be removing the entire intake to find out for sure where the leak could be. Three questions:

-I had the exhaust manifold surfaced before installing my current head and new gaskets. Could a small exhaust leak cause my lean idle? Should I just get another exhaust manifold?

-The intake is slightly thicker because of the exhaust manifold shave, but all of the shared nuts/bolts holding them on have stayed tight since then. I can smell a small exhaust leak, but can't hear it because maybe it's coming from under the car where I have a few small leaks. How could the nuts and bolts all still be tight and have any intake or exhaust leaks?

-Which intake/exhaust gasket seems to work best for you all?

Thanks for readiing

81zxturbo

95slobaru

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I was thinking of getting one from Nissan. Their other parts like the distributor cap, rotor and air filters seem to be good quality too. I hope the manifold gasket is leaking like a (sieve?). Then after changing it I can get back to running excessive boost with no intercooler. :lol:

81zxturbo

95slobaru

Mine is currently a Fel-pro. It came in a gasket kit I bought from Advance. It had metal in the middle, but both faces were paper. I was hoping it would have a better sealing surface, but I put it on anyway, thinking Fel-pro must know something about gaskets. I remember the gaskets I had replaced on my previous z cars having the graphite coating. Maybe that helps keep it from burning out. Time to go to Nissan.

Joel, how's your rb project going?

81zxturbo

95slobaru