HybridZ

MSA Flares are on!

SSflyer

Got all four glued on last Saturday. The prep work took a full day the weekend before. Something a little scary about attacking the fenders with an air saw, especially the back ones. Discovered it was much easier to prep with part of the inner fenders cut out. The really good news is that there was no rust anywhere inside either fender cavity. We did find some rust hiding under the paint on the fenders behind the rear wheels, but no big deal to replace. Used 3M 8115 adhesive with a Total Recall looking applicator gun. I'm unsure whether to fiberglass the flare lip to the inside of the fenders. Advise would be welcome. What a difference in the appearance of the body! Now to finish them off with fiberglass (maybe), refit & weld the inner fender, and then the bondo. So far not as difficult a chore as I thought.

When you cut out part the inner fenders, did you tie it back together with the outer fender (weld) when done? These two "parts" are welded together from the factory and aid in the rigidity of the unibody. The separation of the two (in cutting out the lips for wide tires) may weaken this aspect of the chassis.

Terry,

Yup, thats the plan. There's enough extra material to overlap on the inside and still have enough to tie into the outer fender. It seems that it might be easier to do the fit-up with the inner panel out of the car. I guess I'm committed to doing that way now in any case!

• 2 weeks later...