HybridZ

Has anyone tried this LSD insert ?

Guest bigdrew4u

WTF?? :shock: too good to be true?

I think it probably is. It basically works just like a Phantom Grip, but has some Kevlar where the blocks meet the side gears. Relies on the spring pressure between the blocks to limit the slip, and does not "sense torque" like the Nissan Clutch style and the gear driven styles.

Also still relies on the 2 pinion setup, which is the weak link in the R200.

The reviews I've seen from people with the phantom grip in the R200's on 240sx's have been all good. They said its great for breaking both tires loose, especially if you're trying to drift. It engages both wheels very quickly, so its also good for drag racing (unless you have enough power to break stuff)

Do a search here and you'll find some less outstanding reviews on the Phantom Grip. It is going to work for a while, no doubt about it. The longer you use it, the less it works. Change the gear oil and theres a whole lot of metal in it. That crap is running through your bearings, and being shoved between the ring and pinion. I don't know that anyone has checked diff fluid temp while running a PG, but I bet it is SKY HIGH.

But here's my real problem: If you set the spring pressure really high so that it doesn't spin a tire coming out of a corner hard on the gas, then it is going to cause a lot more push when you're trying to get INTO that same corner, and is also going to be really really tight just driving around town. If you set it nice for driving around town, then it is going to slip coming out of that corner.

Again just about every other LSD available including the Nissan clutch style, the Torsen, the Quaiffe, etc all "sense torque." The harder you push, the more it locks up.

Look at posts in the drivetrain forum where people who have broken their diff. I've seen one common problem. The cross pin shaft wallows it's hole in the case. There is only one cross pin in the 2 pinion open diffs, and there are 2 pins taking the load in the 4 pinion posis. So these inserts don't fix the major area of weakness in the R200.

Hmm... ok. They seem to be doing alright on lower power cars in the 240sx, though. I wouldn't put something like this in my own car if I plan on making any kind of power, though.

Anyone fit an R200 from a 240sx or an R230 like the Z32 diff housing onto a Z? I have 6 of these VLSD's with varying gear ratios, and I would love to fit them in my Z.