HybridZ

Swapping Fuel Tanks - Late tank into early Z car questions

qwik240z

I did a search but no luck.

I have a gas tank from a 75 280Z that I want to install into my 72 240ZLS1 project.

Do I need to modify anything or will this be a bolt in replacement?

I do plan to remove the vapor recovery canister and associated lines that run to it. I will hook up the vent to the gas filler tube and hook up the fuel and return lines.

Am I missing anything?

Any problems concerns I should look out for?

Thanks!

I have a '75 tank in my 240Z and in my opinion, it wasn't worth it. First of all, the 240 straps are too short so you need the 280Z straps (or lengthen the 240 straps). The 240 filler neck is too small to fit over the neck on the 280 tank. The vent lines are different sizes (not an issue for you). Finally, the sending units are different (not a problem if you have a tank with the sending unit).

Even after resolving all those issues, I still have problems with fuel starvation on hard left turns after the tank gets to half full. The only extra baffling is a coke can sized shroud around the pick-up. If I were doing it again, I'd just have a sump welded to the bottom of the original tank, or do what I'm doing now and add a surge tank.

Nigel

'73 240ZT