HybridZ

Tightening up the steering on a worn 240z?

I recently replaced the front swaybar bushings and saw an increase in front end stability. It helped out a lot with the weave I was getting on the freeway. However, I still think it could use some tightening up... the wheel has a bit of freeplay, and I don't like that.

I don't want to spend $100 now and turn around in a few months and spend $300 and remove the old parts.... So I'm asking for advice on how to do this right the first time, even if it does cost a few hundred bucks.

What should I do to stiffen my steering? I just want the car to roll straight and not weave. I also want to eliminate freeplay as much as possible.

It's a safe bet to replace ball joints and outer tie rod ends on just about any Z you pick up. Control arm bushings, TC bushings (do a search on this one), and maybe steering coupler would be next.

You can check all of those components for play individually so you don't buy anything you don't need to, but ball joints and tie rod ends would be my first stop if I were you.

The above advice is all good and should be looked into. But the absolute FIRST place to look on an "old 240" is the U joint at the end of the steering shaft where it connects to the rack. A common wear item. Mine had a good half inch of play in the steering wheel. Replacing all the rubber mounts and the steering coupler will just make the U joint more obvious.

Not sure how much trouble you will have finding a new one. I replaced mine probably 12 years ago and Nissan had stopped stocking new ones back then. Got a good used one from MSA.