HybridZ

Upgrading my turbo motor for the track

Drax240z

Well 3 days ago I decided to yank my current motor (P90/Turbo pistons, stock internals) and get to work on my 'winter' upgrades. The engine is back in and running now so I use the term 'winter' lightly. ;)

Modifications performed in the last 2 days:

- Deburr & Glyptol Block

- Change from P90 to N42 Head. (7.38:1 -> 8.29:1CR)

- Lighten flywheel (23lbs -> 17.75 lbs, most of the mass removed from the outside)

- 2.5" mandrel bent downpipe replacing stock unit

- Ported stock wastegate hole

As you might be able to tell, these mods are almost entirely being done with 1 thing in mind, increased throttle response. No miles yet but I'll report in in the next 2-3 days with a full update. (after some wideband tuning too) I'm really expecting all this done together will make a MASSIVE improvement in throttle response, off-boost torque, spoolup speed, and likely fuel economy too.

Guest Brian260ZT

What is "Glyptol" ?

Edit: Found the answer.

At this point some engine builders paint the internal surface of the block (crankcase only). This serves as another layer of protection from sand dis-lodging from the block surface. The paint Eric and I used is called Glyptol.

From : http://www.georgiazclub.com/tips/ztech/3.1engine/3.1enginec.htm

thanks,

Brian

Drax do you need to deburr the block on a turbo engine? I suppose it depends what your plans are, but I was under the impression that deburring was more for the more extreme vibrations that accompany extremely high revving engines. Seems to me turbo L's usually don't fit those qualifications.

Certainly can't hurt anything, but lemme tell you that job is quite tedious.

More piece of mind than anything Jon... I didn't go all crazy on it and it only took me about an hour to knock off the worst of it, the only areas I was really concerned about was where there was excess casting flash. Some people go to extremes and basically polish the inside of the block to aid in oil return. I just wanted to remove the (remote) chance that some of the casting flash would brake off and cause issues. Another case of "while I have it apart I might as well..."

I finally drove the car with the new engine last night... and holy crap is it ever good! I cannot say enough good things about these mods over the stock turbo setup. Throttle response is very crisp now, and I believe will get a bit better yet with tuning. Off-boost power is surprising. (granted I am still running 20* initial timing) I actually rolled on the throttle in first leaving a light last night, and unintentionally spun the wheel(s) all the way through the intersection.

It may not be making more ultimate power with these changes, but the car is CERTAINLY faster on the street, it just gets up and go's now. I'm not concerned with peak dyno numbers at all, but there is no doubt in my mind that this setup has WAY more area under the curve(s) than the P90/F54/7.38:1 setup did. BIG GRIN FACTOR!

Between the compression and the lightened flywheel, It should be snappy, I did a similar upgrade way back, went from a good motor to a higher compression motor with better breathing, light flywheel, centerforce clutch, and 411 rear. Simply put, I was stunned. I had been telling myself not to expect TOO much, and was just hoping I would notice it at all. It put me right in there with the cameros and mustangs of the day. I wouldnt spin long strips unintentionally, = ) but first gear definitely took some getting used to, and I could chirp fourth when really "necessary". 8)

I'm "only" running 9psi right now. Traction is such a huge issue as it is even with R-compound's on the track that I haven't felt the need to up it. I am getting some light pinging now with the new setup, so I am going to have to do a little more wideband work, maybe this weekend I'll find the time. I have a feeling that with the new setup traction might be LESS of an issue, because the power comes on more linearly and I think it will be more predictable and controllable with this setup. Either way I'm looking at the RX7 rims I have waiting for my 5 bolt conversion and thinking how nice some 245's would be under the car... (rather than the 205's I have now)

sorry to be off topic here but if your car is as loud as mine is, how do you hear the pinping?

i try to listen to any type of harmful sound but my car just drowns everything out.

mike

My car is loud... straight 2.5" exhaust no muffler. It's still not hard to hear a ping if you know what you are listening for though.

ya i have straight 3inch exhaust and its ficken load.

what you listen for? if i hear any rattling i let off very fast..

still its hard to hear things for me, bad ears and all..

mike

Either way I'm looking at the RX7 rims I have waiting for my 5 bolt conversion and thinking how nice some 245's would be under the car... (rather than the 205's I have now)

The 245's with some good tires should really make a differnce. When I went from the 225/50/15 to the 245/40/17's with some AVS Sports it really helped the car. Still spins them in first and second when you hit the gas but, it's so much more controllable now. I was almost afraird of the car in certain cnditions before. I had to turn the Profec off when my wife drove the car. Now, not just 5 minuites ago I saw my wife smoke the tires leaving the apt. We have a steep hill you have to go up to get out onto the road and I think she got alittle carried away with the load pedal. She thought I'd be pissed. I thought it was cool. You don't get to see your own car smoke the tires very often. :rockon:

My car is loud... straight 2.5" exhaust no muffler. It's still not hard to hear a ping if you know what you are listening for though.

ya i have straight 3inch exhaust and its ficken load.

what you listen for? if i hear any rattling i let off very fast..

still its hard to hear things for me' date=' bad ears and all..

mike[/quote']

You must consentrait "Danielson"