HybridZ

R200 strength

dune333racing

No one knows for sure. The R200 is stout by any small car standards, and very rarely do we hear of a failure behind any SB V8. The half-shafts will be the weak link instead of the center section. There is also search information on the R230 (which is larger than the R200) and what is needed to install it into the S30 as well. One member installed a Corvette rear end (entire rear), a 240SX rear sub-frame assembly has been installed, and then you have the straight axle back-halfs as well.

A search will give you a lot of hits on this subject.

The R200's in the S13/S14/R32, etc... have been known to break between 350-400hp. However, many have held up to some serious abuse with even more than 400hp.

I personally ran an R230 with 395rwhp/362ft/lbs. It never missed a beat, and I ragged the hell out of it.

My friend was doing a fat burnout (wasting what was left of a set of Nitto drag radials) and he broke his R230 diff. He had 363rwhp, but it obviously broke because of the crazy burnout.... so this is still up in the air. (the abuse he put on it drag racing could've set it up to break later)

The R200's in the R32 are stronger than the S13, but still have a tendency to rip teeth off the pinion with enough power put down.

All in all, the R200 and R230 are great bang for the buck diff's. They sometimes break, but they will take a lot of beating before they do, and replacement parts are available and not too expensive.

I'd like to run an R230 with an aftermarket ring and pinion Cryo'ed and shot peened and coated with a Quaiffe LSD unit in it. That would ROCK.