HybridZ

280z 2+2 tranny question

72zcar

Is the 280z 2+2 tranny the same as a coupe tranny out of same year? I know that the 2+2 has a larger flywheel and clutch disk and preasure plate.

Is the spline the same? Will the coupe disk fit the spline?

Can i take a tranny out of a 2+2 and replace my broken tranny and use my flywheel, disk, throwout bearing, disk and preasure plate?

Are the gear ratios the same in a 2+2 tranny as a coupe tranny out of same year?

Will it bolt right up? and i can use my driveline? Or is the tailshaft longer in a 2+2 tranny?

lots of questions i know..but this info is for a bud and if i give him wrong advice...he buys this tranny he cant use i will be in a world of doodoo

thanks, bob

Is the 280z 2+2 tranny the same as a coupe tranny out of same year? I know that the 2+2 has a larger flywheel and clutch disk and preasure plate. >>> SAME

Is the spline the same? Will the coupe disk fit the spline? >>SAME

Can i take a tranny out of a 2+2 and replace my broken tranny and use my flywheel, disk, throwout bearing, disk and preasure plate? >>> YES

Are the gear ratios the same in a 2+2 tranny as a coupe tranny out of same year? >>> YES

Will it bolt right up? and i can use my driveline? Or is the tailshaft longer in a 2+2 tranny? >> ONLY DIFFERNCE IS DRIVESHAFT LENGTH BETWEEN COUPE AND 2+2

thanks J. for the info....

now.. the other choice for a TRANNY is what looks like a t-5 out of a 81 zxturbo (although i thought t-5's only came in the year 83) ...if its not a t-5 its sure looks like one...

could you give the same info for this tranny out of a 81 zxturbo?

The 280zx is completely different length. The driveshaft splines are not the same and the rear connection at the differential is different on a T5. You will need to use the turbo driveshaft with the T5 and then have it modified to proper length and to use the stock differential flange or take the differential flange off the R200 in the turbo Z and use that on your 280Z's diff. Even so, the driveshaft length is different. Its quite a pain to do that. Stick with a Nissan transmission.

Yes, the T5 came only in 1982-83 but its just a few parts to swap from the later year turbo to make the 81 a 5-speed. If you're swapping from a ZX to a ZX, then all the turbo driveshaft and transmission mounts just swap over.