HybridZ

Difference Between R160 LSD and R200 LSD

Guest TBroZ

r160 has a 160mm ring gear diameter (6.2" rear end). r200 has a 200mm ring gear (7.87" rear end). The r200 is beefier and can stand up to more abuse than the r160. R160 is better suited for 4 banger setups like on a datsun 510.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to get an r160 for the 327 - it may not last more than several passes at the strip.

Well I got a problem then, because I can't imagine having a non-LSD rear end in this car. And I don't have any interest in some major C4 Vette IRS project. What's this Quiaffe all about?

Terry

Auxilary - Thanks, great info! Was the R230 in the Q45 an LSD unit?

And so what is the most common/best way that V8 HybridZ owners are using for their rear ends? Quaife?, non-LSD?, C4 IRS? Any other options?

Here's the real question: Is Quaife the only after market supplier of LSD rear end internals?

Terry

Datsun uses the size of the diff ring gear to name their diffs. They made R160, R180, R200 and R230's. Generally the larger the ring, the larger, heavier and stronger the diff. Most Z's came with either the R180 or R200. Most guys would highly recommend the R200 for a V8, but LSD is hard and expensive to find.

But you might want to search on "R160". There are a number of guys that use them because they are a cheap source of LSD. I guess Subaru's use them so there is a good supply and low demand. Not for everybody but some guys like them.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's all very clear to me now. There's a R160 LSD on ebay...but I ain't bidding.

Okay, so who's got an R200 or R230 they want to sell me? The R200's came in the 280zx's? The R230's came in what, the 300zx's?

And if I'm at a wrecking yard, do all the LSD's have the label plate easily shown on the rear cover like the R160 LSD I saw?

Terry

Here's another real question: What's the easiest way to go LSD? I'm reading posts that other various parts are required if one gets for instance a 300ZX LSD. I'd much prefer to do a straight swap of the diff. itself with no other mods. So if I get an R200 from say a 280Z, and put in a Quaife LSD, then I don't need any other mods, like worrying about different splines, bolts, brackets, etc. Is that true?

Thanks,

Terry