HybridZ

What is the Most Flexible Body Filler?

SHO-Z

I installed some side vents off a Camaro on my fenders. Installed them on the inside and attacted them with flat head screws and molded them in with bondo and fiber filler. I keep getting some small crack on some of the edges due to the difference in expansion of the plastic and the metal after a couple of weeks of sitting, it is hot in Arizona. I want to solve the problem before the final paint!

What is the most flexible body filler that I can use around the edges to stop the cracking?

It is less than 1/4" thick. I used “BONDO†brand when I set the vents against the inter side of the fender and bolted them on. I tapered the edges fenders to mold them in. I used the NAPA fiber filler and Bond on the edges. What I would like to find is something that I can use on the tighter radius where the cracking is occurring along the top and bottom.

thumb_z2%7E1.jpg

First off..."bondo" is old and out dated. Get something good from a body shop supply store. It doesn't cost anymore than bondo. As far as getting something that doesn't crack, you probably want to try things over from the start. Get a 2 part adhesive meant for bonding parts on (like automix/duramix adhesives). You can use this for all your filling needs around your vents too. Its strong and resists cracking very well.

Guest butlersZ

I just recently switched from "BONDO" brand to evercoat because of cracking issues. I have been using this Evercoat brand of filler that has short hair fiber strands and Kevlar in it. $10 a quart but it works great! It goes on real smooth, it's waterproof and not nearly as porus as Bondo. It's pretty flexible and easy to work into tight corners too.

http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=9624

Guest DiZeased_240

I agree with RacerX plus want to add that flex additives have a tendency to make paint "orange peel". Not a normally desired effect and I would not recommend using it.

I would suggest something form the Fusor line of fillers (http://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1193#114TR91)

The 114 and t11 would help on what you are trying to do. the best way to describe it is a rubberized filler, it will flex and give better than "Bondo" and the evercoat base/clear filler, i use it on bumpers for such reasons. tigerhair or fiberglass reinforced filler will get it more rigid but will crack enventually. just fyi, the bondo brand filler could possibly bleed through the paint leaving discoloration.