HybridZ

Z32 V8 conversion? My motor just died and>>>

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering if I could just do a V8 conversion for about the same amount of money. The Z motor for the non turbo is too expensive and I thought a V8 conversion might cost the same with good hp/ weight advantages.

TIA,

Alex

Into what car Alex? Your Z32 NA motor died or?? I'd just love to see one in a Z32:-)) Yet to come across a good body/dead motor Z32, usually the other way around...

Let us know what your intended chassis is and what power/manners/performance you'd like to have:-)

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

I've got a loose wrist pin and the motor is about to die. I just want some more balls in my car but I don't have loads of money. I don't want to hurt handling too much. I have redone the whole suspension, springs, shocks, sway bars, and strut brace bars.

-Alex

Mike Kelly, Chris, and I were in a junkyard today looking for seats, and Mike saw a Z32 w/o an engine and said he'd like to do a V8 in one some day.

I't sure looked like there would be room for a V8. Chris mentioned the Ford SBC for size and I agreed that'd be good since there'd be not room to move the engine back from stock to help the CG weight distribution issue.

Maybe an LS1?

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Chris, Pete and I all agree that one would fit, but the big question is this: Where do you live and what emissions regs do you have to deal with. I will eventually put a V8 in a Z32, this I'm sure of, just not until I no longer have issues such as Smog control and the emissions NAZIs! Good luck and take pics of everything. You can get 350 reliable HP from a small block Chevy cheap... the real issue is what else will you need to convert?

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Well, I guess as the third amigo I will chime in...

I agree with Pete and Mike, I think a V8 would fit in a Z32, and as we talked about, a small block Ford especially. I am amazed every time a see a 289 or 302 performance motor at just how small they are...

If you take this project on take photos of EVERYTHING as I am sure there are many folks interested in such a swap.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Speaker

oh hell yeah a v8 will fit smile.gif

my Z32TT has a blown head gasket; and they had to pull the motor (still being done) because the exhaust bolts can't be reached when the motor is in the car...

but its sitting outside without a motor right now; hell yeah man there's plenty of room

i doubt the handling would be hurt much at all... the VG30DETT is a very large engine for such a small displacement... DOHC heads, and a gigantic upper and lower intake plenum take up a lot of room and weigh a lot...

but there's PLENTY of room... believe me from seeing it smile.gif

The VG30DETT is a very light engine, in fact that bare engine is one of the lightest V6's out there. Yes the turbo's and associated piping and i/c add quite a bit.

There might be room enough, but you'll likely gain a bit of weight. As for handling, it depends where that weight is gained. smile.gif

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

• 2 years later...
Guest the_dj
550lbs. I just shipped my motor and they had to weigh it for shipping costs.

LS1. :) The LS1 + transmission together are under 500. :)

• 2 years later...

Sport Z magazine did an article of a Z32 owner who converted to a LS1 / T56. If your interested, I can hook you up with my dad (Bob Bell / owner of Sport Z to get a copy of the back issue and get you in contact with the owner of the car if your really interested.

James....

• 5 years later...

i know this is an old post but i was looking to do the same swap (ls1 in a z32) were there any pics ever taken? how much modifacation was needed and just basic tips.

edit: scratch that didn't even look around the board first just found this page from goole so nevermind there is a whole sticky about this

Edited by dragnss