HybridZ

stock chevy horsepower ratings

Heym i remember seeing a list somewhere that showed the horsepower ratings for all stock GM vehicles/engines.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get this info, i would appreciate your help.

Oh, and does anyone know what the stock horsepower is on a 1990 305 v8 with TB injection?

i have line one for $140... i would replace the TB with TPI or a carb, since i assume the HP rating is pretty low with the TB.

thanks for your help,

Joe

The whole intake system as I know it isn't that great, its a truck engine really, torque but no HP. The L98s eventually put out 330TQ and 230-235HP, but still they are torquey and with the stock intake, dont get much better with cams, head work, etc

Example, L98 383, 490 RWTQ (OMG), 370ish RWHP.

Guest Anonymous

I had to reply here.. I am new to the list, but I had to comment about "truck" v-8's my first v-8 in my car (72 240) pulled like you wouldn't believe from a stop NOONE could take me across across the enter-section espically with the deep first in the 700-R4 but out on the freeway it ran out of steam about 3000 RPM since I had 1500$ in the car including the original price I had no room to complaine.

I got the oppertunity to put it on a dyno and it became clear real fast why it pulled so hard.

153 HP at 3800 RPM

300 lbs of torque at 2100 RPM

and these are rear wheel ratings. this also turned in a 14 second flat at the quarter mile with HUGE fule problomes (before I fixed them) I was happy coming from a 19.5 second quartr with the stock L24 and automatic.

thought I would share.

Dave C (new motor should pull to 6K hehehe)

It's ok Dan, your car is very cool.

I guess i should look into just building the 383 stroker with TPI? (although that motor puts the chevy conversion another year down the road.or more...)

thanks for your time,

Joe.

(NOTE: i know a guy with a 305 long block for around $140-150, e-mail me if you're interested)

The costs incurred to build an L98 or 305 etc to LT1 or LS1 levels just doesn't seem worth it to me. If you start with one of those engines I'd plan to keep it nearly stock, otherwise you put money into maxing it out and then having no more real potential for the future, and probably not steller gas mileage either (depending on your cam selection etc).

Thats one reason I dropped the L98 as an idea, despite how cheap it is to obtain with the 5 speed. But, they make torque like nobodys business. I know a local guy who open road races his 422 L98 stroker, at 4,000 RPM.

That's kinda where i came out on that Mudge...

The 305 is a nice sturdy engien, and would be great for the Z. But for horsepower goals i have in mind, it just isnt going to be cost effective...

It is still up in the air as to which engine i am going to use.

I'm mixed between the SC 3800(for gas mileage, and smooth power, I wouldnt be going for more than 300-350HP from it though)

The 383(maybe with a vortech SC)

LTI/LTI stroked to 383.

Lexus V8 (probably not cost effective)

and a couple of other engines that i dont think are practical...

Decisions decisions, (much easier made with MONEY!:-(

Joe.