HybridZ

LT1 Identification help

OK, I've got the sickness and I'm going to the next level. I purchased a LT1 engine/trans/computer combo on ebay to drop in a 240Z. It was listed as out of a 96 Camaro Z28. How do I know by looking at it if it is a 96 for sure not a 95 or 94? Do these motors have casting dates or serial numbers to easily identify this?

Thanks!

Just a quick glance will verify if it is out of an Fbody or an Impala SS.. does it have aluminum heads? the Impala's had steel heads and the Camaro/TA have aluminum heads.. Also look on the bottom of the timing chain cover for a crank trigger sensor. If it has a plug around the 7 oclock mark looking from the front of the engine it is probabaly a 96-97 model.. if it does not have the crank trigger it is pre 96.

Myron

• 4 weeks later...

At the bottom of the timing cover, if the left and right side look identical its an early LT4. If its MAF its 94 or 95. If there is a bulge in the "right" hand side of the timing cover (left when facing it) then its a 96+, this is a crank position sensor.