HybridZ

vg30dett vs sr20det

Guest Z2nr

I looked at the prices for both engines, and they are similar. Is is much more expensive to install a vg motor into a classic z?

I would rather do this, a stage III upgraded vg will push 350+++whp, in a little car like the Z is would be a rocket.

I say go with whatever you prefer. You seem to want to VG, so do that. Otherwise, you may regret it later.

However, an SR20DET is very capable of 350hp with a MAF, Injectors, Turbo, and tuned computer. The VG will make this without any of that I'm pretty sure.

Power will be cheaper in the short run with the VG.

the vg is a difficult swap to do and hasnt been done nearly as much as the sr20. I looked into doing a vg30et swap becuase there can be amazing power made out of that powerplant relativly easily. But it is a big engine, steering shaft is in the way, and youd have to custom make your motor mounts. Granted you would have to make mounts for the sr20 as well, but more people have done that swap so help would easier to find and even possible templates of mounts. You sound excited about the vg so go for it,,,If i had the money time and skill id do one,,but dont knock the sr20,,you can build those little 4 bangers up to the moon with power. Good luck, you in for a wild ride!

Another thing to consider, realistucally, is what happens when something goes whong--like a turbo, or anything that comes w/ wear & tear.

With the 300Z, parts will be easier to find, since it was offered here in the US; however, they aren't going to be cheap. Besides, you have two extra cylinders that can go wrong. And a LOT less room to work when trying to replace something.

With the SR, the motor is a lot smaller, and access to evey part is very easy. You could use that extra space to have a V-mount set up w/ the intercooler & radiator. Extra space also means that you'll have to worry about cooling the engine compartment. Here's the problem w/ the SR, though: The engine was not offered in the US (except in NA trim), and finding parts, whether performance or maintenance, could cost you time and $$$.

Ultimately, I think you should go for whatever makes you happy. I know what I'm going to do, but like 1bad180sx said, there is a higher chance of regret with going w/ a motor (or part) you're not 100% happy with.

Yeah, support for SR in the states is getting better everyday... but you can't just run down to the dealer and order most parts for the motor. Aftermarket stuff is very easy to get now... and major companies are starting to support it because the 240sx is trendy now. (and so is swapping in the SR20DET)

I'll be putting my SR in the Z... I can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...