HybridZ

Budget 406

I have a line on a virgin 400/4 bolt sbc. I am thinking about doing a budget built stroker. Here is kinda what I want to do.....

400 bored 30 over

10.5 comp ratio

AFR 195's(already have)

1.52 comp rollers(already have)

274 or 284 extreme energy cam

Air Gap intake(already have)

750 Holley(already have)

Proform Hei(already have)

1 5/8 Block Huggers/2.5 Daul/x pipe(already have)

I was thinking about using the stock 5.56 rods and putting in some ARP bolts. I wanted to keep this motor at a max of 6000 rpm. Later I also plan on going to the 1 3/4 long tubes as well.

What do you guys think of this combo???

fIRST OFF DONT GET A 4 BOLT 400 SOME PEOPLE ALWAYS THINK 4 BOLT IS THE WAY TO GO AND IT IS MOST OF THE TIME, BUT NOT IN THE 400`S CASE. SINCE THE CYLINDER WALLS ARE SO THIN THE 4 BOLTS ACTUALLY WEAKEN IT. LOOK AT ANY CIRCLE TRACK 400 ENGINES ALL OF THEM ARE 2 BOLTS WITH SPLAYED CAPS. i HAVE A 400 WITH SPLAYED CAPS THAT ILL SELL AS A SHORTBLOCK FOR 800 DOLLARS.

cHAD

Looks like a good plan to me except for the rods. Look at a stock 400 rod and there is a big notch for the bolt head, much bigger than 5.7 350 rods. This weakens a 400 rod a lot compared to the 350 rod. I'd use a set of 350 rods, they will have to be clearanced a little, but it's not a big deal. Pistons for the 400 w/350 rods are readily available and no more expensive than reg 400 pistons.

John

Guest Anonymous

Just a suggestion; go with the minimum overbore that will provide clean cylinders so you can make that getting-hard-to-find block last you as long as possible. A +.020" then a +.040" will extend the service life over a single +.030" overbore. Besides, you might want to make that 400 into a 433+ some time in the future. 400 rods aren't really recommended for over 5500rpm, even with hd bolts.