HybridZ

Leyland/Rover V8 swap?

Guest 440Z_(Leyland)

Guest 440Z_(Leyland)

Has anyone put one of these in a Z?

I've got a 240Z with a 4.4ltr P76 sourced donk in it. Bought it as it is. Would be good to find some info on this swap.

Seems to be a pretty easy swap - std mounts, no fire wall or tunnel mods.

*Bonus bit - it's lighter than the original (or so I'm told)

Guest 440Z_(Leyland)
Iam guessing this dudes in Aussie. Parts for these are easyer to source downunder. People use them a lot in jet boats around here as well.

Douglas

G'day Doug,

Yep, an Aussie bloke here.

I have put some pics of the car in the gallery. They're all called 440Z*

Bill is right. This engine was used by Buick - the 215. Was/is also used by Rover, Landrover/Rangerover, Leyland (in Aust at least), MG, TVR and also in a number of smaller production run cars. Used in Super7 replica's too.

It might not be very common in the US, and it's no wonder with the vast qty of other bigger V8's on offer over there.

So far as perf. parts are concerned... they are harder to track down, but they are there, they do seem to be good. Price... not to bad.

As far as the engine itself... Wel it's just another pushrod V8 - it has it's good bits and it's bad. Has weak conrods and really needs a solid girdle to put up with revs, poor flow in heads but heaps of poptential. But it does seem light, and reasonably compact (except for the tumor of a waterpump on the front).

André