HybridZ

I NEED HELP ASAP, regarding standard transmission!!!

Guest RustedDevelopment

Guest RustedDevelopment

OK, my car is in the transmission shop. I think this guy is really trying to A) test my patience and B) f*ck with me.

Its been there for 1.5 weeks. The only thing they have done is pull the tranny out. I was supposed to come talk to the guy after he took it apart to tell me what was wrong and how much it would be to repair. Well.. still not done. Keep in mind the cost of doing this alone is $295 (which will apply towards cost of repair, if not, i'm out $300). Anyway, I go again today and he says come back saturday, after telling me he would be done today. Then I ask about the flywheel. The previous owner claimed the car revved really fast, faster than any Z he has driven before. Well, I ask the tranny guy if the flywheel was lightened and he said "no, the previous owner is full of sh*t". so i ask to take it off so I can inspect it. I take the thing home and weigh it, and its 10 pounds. I mean, MSA sells 10 lb. flywheels for $400+!!! My questions are, and I apologize for the long read:

1) how much does the stock flywheel weigh? about 30 right?

2) he says the Centerforce I clutch is a waste of money. i got a used one for $90... is this true? here is the link.. how does it look, honestly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2495612121

3) does my flywheel look stock or aftermarket? http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=jkoh1&password=15181689

i'm really confused, frustrated, and aggravated. i could really use some unbaised, professional help from you guys. Thanks in advance!

I will comment on both since I've had both... The flywheel is a 10lb HKS modular steel piece, or I've seen it called a Az. Zcar flywheel. It is definitly a good lightweight flywheel....

The clutch is another story... I've had bad luck with Centerforce clutches. I had a DuelFriction one that did nothing but slip under boost, but in fairness, I may have been overpowering the thing (because I belive their crap for clutches)

It may work just fine for your set up, so that may not have been a bad deal on your part.

You will soon find that just because somebody owns a repair shop, that dosen't mean they know squat about certian parts... :D

Stock flywheel is ~25 lbs IIRC. AZC used to sell the HKS flywheels. Now they make their own; I have one and mine weighs 12 lbs. If I had the choice to make again I'd go with the Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Since you already have the HKS you're all set though...

Centerforce blows IMO... I suggest ACT with a stock disk, stay away from the puck clutches, they chatter and are unnecessary unless you're pushing HUGE hp.

Guest RustedDevelopment

thank you for the replies. i did some research and compared a stock flywheel, 16lb flywheel, and my flywheel with some pictures. it is definately thinner along the edge of the wheel and like you say, 10lbs which is great! now i know which model i have, thanks again :-D

also, since everyone seems to hate the centerforce clutches, i will try something else. which ACT model should I look into?

this guy is really something else. i've had a funny feeling for a long time, and i still dont know if i should really trust him. should i just pay up the $295 and get my car the hell out of there?

I'm not trying to defend the guy doing the work, but if you're not used to seeing the steel lightweight flywheels and you aren't a high performance type of mechanic you might not notice. Typically the lightweight flywheels are aluminum with a steel insert and those are OBVIOUSLY not stock. If he keeps screwing you around on the tranny job, then yeah, find another shop.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I have: http://www.advancedclutch.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=16&idproduct=950 I bought just the pressure plate, then bought a stock Nissan disk and throwout bearing and pilot bushing. Their kevlar disk looks fine (but $$$), I just don't like puck disks for streek use.

What's the engine like on this car? Stock NA? Do you even need an upgraded clutch? For anything resembling stock you probably don't need it, and you'll just waste a couple hundred bucks buying crap you don't need.

Guest RustedDevelopment

jmortensen,

i talked to a few members of the Z club here in houston and it looks like i'll be trading a billet fuel rail and a fuel cell for some labor :D, now i just need to find another tranny for cheap. i think this shop is bad news for me, despite their "good" rep. as far as getting a nicer clutch, the engine will definately be getting some more work done to it. its a dual carb setup that supposedly has a little bit shaved off the head (not sure of the #). i will eventually invest in some cams and possibly new pistons to raise the compression further after repairing some of the rust it has but, yeah.. i definately think i should look into beefing up the transmission though its not crucial at the moment. i dont think i can do the cams or pistons just yet, but they will definately be in my Z's future!

Plan on just getting one cam. :wink:

I'm running a ZX 5 speed and just starting to deal with transmission problems (I broke my modified crossmember and the mainshaft nut backed off which makes it pop out of gear on decel) and I've got triples a cam, headers, high compression, and I've been running this trans for 45K through autoxing and multiple track days. I got this trans from an 80 ZX that had 150K on it, I think the trans was original. I am nice to my stuff though. What I'm saying is I don't think the trans is a weak point. Just that stupid main shaft nut. You might want to open your new trans up, make sure the nut is tight, then tack weld it in place. That's what I'm going to do when I rebuild mine.

Stock clutch would probably be fine for right now, but if you do upgrade definitely go for something that is actually an upgrade like the ACT.

Guest RustedDevelopment

saw the price on the ACT, wow :shock: but i guess it is worth it huh? are there any other alternatives as far as transmissions go? i hear some people doing 240sx, 300zx, even 350z tranny swaps after modification. would you recommend this or not? just curious to see what else could be done.

Guest RustedDevelopment

good news. i'm getting a good deal on a Clutch Masters Stage 5 clutch.. now i need a tranny! 8) (going for a stock 280z 5spd if anyone is selling)

i know stage 5 seems like overkill, but my friends say it is lighter because of less material, is the same cost as a stage 2, 3, or 5, and lasts just as long if not longer. you have to be more precise in feathering the gas when engaging the clutch otherwise you will stall out but i can adapt and learn easily. i might as well do it now so i dont have to tear apart the tranny a few years down the road again right?