HybridZ

New to Z scene

Guest Rider_X

Guest Rider_X

Hello,

I am a non mechanically IT guy. I am going to be buying two 71/74 z's for a awesome price.

I am debating on whether or not I should swap out the engine. My definites are to have a racing suspencion in place, as well as four wheel disk brakes. Maybe lower it a bit as well.

Also switch out the tranny for a 5 speed.

My question is this. I want to use the car as a daily driver and seeing as how gas prices are so bloody high these days I wan to make the car as fuel friendly as possible.

My question is how many of you actually use your cars for a daily driver? (I live in south florida so no need to worry about snow and salt)

Also any suggests on what would be a good engine? My friend imports engines from Japan for a living so I can get a good deal on just about any modern day engine.

I want to repeat i am a total noob so if you guys could point me in the right direction of designing the set up of these cars (when we plan to give to my little bro as a graduation gift from high school)

One of them is a rust bucket and I know its going to cost alot to restore it but what is the measuring stick to figure out if it is worth saving or not?

Well here is the low down on concerns over upgrades and swaps...

If you are not mechanically inclined, you are going to pay a pretty hefty price to get one converted. I would charge by the hour depending on the job for doing coilovers and big brake swaps, primarely because they are time consuming to do. Doing an engine swap would cost you quite a bit, even with someone who is seasoned to swap it in.

Bottom line is you just need to ask yourself how deep your wallet is. You would have at least 16 hours worth of labor just on brakes and suspension upgrades (Including front and rear disk, and coil overs/ struts/ bushings), not to mention other things that might be found wrong once the car is in the air. Bearings, ball joints, tie rod pieces, frame and floor pan rot... Just be prepared mentaly, or be prepared to go mental!! :D

Mike

Old Z's make excellent daily drivers, as long as you don't monkey with them too much. My 1970 240 was my only source of transportation for several years. I kept the engine smog legal but managed to completely upgrade the suspension while living in an apartment. All without missing a day of work due to downed transportation. A stock inline 6 will run forever and parts are still readily available. You can go a long way to upgrade the suspension and handling by only bolting on aftermarket pieces on the weekend.

Since you are buying two, pick the one in the best shape and get it road worthy. Keep it near stock. 5 speeds are bolt in (mine has one). Keep in mind they are 30+ years old cars so some electrical gremlins and misc broken pieces are to be expected.

But heed Mike's advice about contracting out any any large scale performance upgrades.