HybridZ

Update on MY Zcar project... Been a while!

Mikelly

Today I went into the garage and installed the front suspension, crossmember and swaybar, so I could make the car a rolling chassis again. I also installed new races in the front 300ZX hubs, and installed my companion flages on the rear stub axles.

I'm in the process of mocking up my new tophat design for aleviating the whole "sectioned" strut housing issue. This unit will allow you to gain well over 1.5 inches of additional travel on the suspension so you can lower the coil overs without losing the travel in the strut cartridge. If all goes well, I'll ave something to show withint the next two weeks.

As soon as the scarab project comes back from the fabricator's, I'll send mine out for roll cage, and I've got an appointment with a painter next week to discuss my paint and body work for the car.

Finally, some progress!

Mike :D

I've got a local shop three miles up the street from me who will custom make it to my (Rules) specifications AND use cromoly tubing. I highly recommend you get a couple of samples of materials and check out how much heavier DOM mild steel tubing is, when compared to .095 1 5/8th tubing. I was amazed.

The guys who are fab'ing my cage are going to tie the rear strut towers together, make the initial 6 points with the front two points sunk into the rocker boxes (No broken ankles) and tie the cage into the FRONT strut towers through the firewall. They are also going to weld the diagenal bar in and X brace at the rear four points. I should have between 10-12 points and it should run me around $1200 complete.

I personally do NOT like ANY of the kits available for the Zcar. They do not locate the tubes properly and if you want the best fitment, I recommend going custom. A cage is something you want to get right the first time... There normally isn't a second time!

Mike 8)

Thanks for the info Mike. I have a local shop here that I've poked my head in once on him and I liked the look of the shop and the projects he had going on looked to be of decent quality. Maybe I'll go pick his brain a little and see where his minds at in regards to this. It'll just be kinda hard considering the car won't be available for him to look at. But we'll see.