HybridZ

I have a few questions.

Guest Script

I know most of you don’t really post questions in here; I just didn’t feel that it belongs in a tech forum.

I’m looking to buy a first gen Z within the next six months or so. I’m looking for something with a strait body no major rust and decent interior. It would be kind of cool if it had a decent running engine in it but its not necessary since I have other means of transportation. I really like the 240 and 260 is their any defense between the two aesthetically? Any way what is a fair price for the car I have described? I would like to keep it below 3k it seems possible when I look them up on ebay, but most cars that sell below that don’t have reserve prices met, or don’t meet my criteria.

Also as a side question. Not sure it belongs here so ignore it if you like. But what are common 1/4 mile times on these cars with a stock LS1 or any motor pulling about 310hp at the crank?

When it comes to old Z's you live in God's country. I honestly think the overwhelming majority of series 1 Z's never made it past the left coast. You have the advantage of all the CA aerospace engineers migrating to AZ bringing their Z’s with them. Everybody here on the east coast wants to make pilgrimages to the south west to get rust free Z's

Start getting autotraders and look for the old cars. LA is a weekend trip so that should be an option for you.

3 K should get you a low rust, clean, running Z no problem. May not look nice, but rust free is the ticket. For 5-6 K you could probably find a ratty one with a V8. As for ebay, I don’t know how anyone could buy a used car without seeing it in person. Just one opinion, but a possible explanation for the low price.

You could try contacting the guy at Arizona Z car. I would bet he would have a line on an old Z or two. Only problem is he would know what they are worth, so you won’t steal one that way.

240 vs. 260: the early 260’s had the same small bumpers as the 240’s. Some where in mid development the 260’s went to the fat crash bumpers. Everybody wants the smaller bumpers, so expect to pay more for those. Engine wise (I think) all 260’s had the flat top carbs which totally suck. But for V8 swap that won’t matter.

Structurally I am not sure how much difference there is. The 260’s did gain weight, but the early 240’s had some sheet metal that was too thin in places. So the weight gain may not be a bad thing. 260’s should in general be less expensive simply because they are not 240’s. Structurally the 280’s were considerably different. But once again that may not be a bad thing depending upon who you talk to. Do a search to get details.