HybridZ

scorpion gtz car

scorpionzcars

When are you going to have detailed info. and an itemized parts list on your website? http://www.scorpionzcars.com

Regarding the Ferrari badges...people have been putting Shelby Cobra, Daytona, etc. on their replicas for years. I don't see what the big deal is about doing the same with a Ferrari replica. Especially if it handles and moves like the real deal!

The big deal is Ferrari is aggressively intimidating anyone who uses their logo - it doesn't matter why. If I take a bunch of professional pictures of our real Ferrari and decide to make it into a poster I can rest assured that if I sell copies of that poster I will get a letter from FNA's (Ferrari of North America) lawyer telling me if I don't immediately stop they will bury me in court. It doesn't matter if I wasn't making a profit and selling at cost. All that matters is they have more money for lawyers than most shops could come up with so most cave in without ever going to court.

Therefore if a few companies make something that looks like a certain Ferrari and they call it something else and need to go to great lengths to not mention Ferrari or sell even original badging then so be it - the shops are just being realistic and doing what they have to to provide us with parts and earn a living. I wish the courts didn't work this way but they do - I REALLY wish Ferrari didn't work this way but they do. If they would support the aftermarket and enthusiasts and license their logo say to makers of quality reproduction parts they would enhance customer loyalty..

However I doubt their lawyers would ever advise them to do that - they make too much money invoicing FNA for all the hours they spend seeking out and intimidating fans of the marque

Chelle

I realize Ferrari can make YOUR life hell for using their badges, logos, etc. Even Carrol Shelby went after the kit car builders when they started making Cobra kits and using Shelby emblems.

What I meant was I don't think it's out of line to use emblems on a replica. I have always wanted a car like the 250GTO but never seem to have the extra $10,000,000.00+ laying around to buy one. So...I'm building one. After all the blood, sweat and money I'm putting into this thing I'll put little rearing stallions on it if I want to. Catch me if you can Ferrari!

Oh yea, your Scorpion body looks awesome!

Guest JAMIE T

The problem is Ferrari is a helluva lot harder on "kit Car" rpoductions than ANY OTHER manufacturer. For an individual to install the emblems is one thing, but it is a huge NO-NO for a kit manufacturer to do it or even supply them. No body wants to go toe to toe with Ferrari's lawyers. Ask Tom McBurnie...

I should clarify - I was simply defending the position of the replica manufacturers and dealers. I am not representing them - I just build the cars and drive them. Tom, John and the rest of the great people out there providing the parts to us all have to dance a very fine line to keep the lawyers from ruining their livelihood and our hobby.

"scorpionzcars" had to cover his behind and make it clear that he did not put original trademarked badges on the car. Imagine what the letter from FNA would have been looking like had he been casually chatting in here among friends had he said he did everything and some anonymous poster asked about the emblems. If he said - "yeah they make it look nice, we took the time to place them as accurately as possible" FNA's lawyer would submit a brief to the court showing that the "defendant knowingly violated Ferrari's IP rights and even admitted as such in an internet messageboard among other known intellectual property thieves." They might at that point even cite the DMCA as a reason to have the court shut down this site.

Civil courts favor whoever has the most expensive lawyers. It's not fair but if you post pics of your replica on Ebay they will cave in to FNA's lawyers super fast. They'll delete your auction without even listening to your interpretation of the law.

Chelle

Nice cars, Hottie, a Great Brain, , likes to wrench, a lot of Heart ...

Honk if you know what I'm talking about ;). Can we maybe clone this person!!!??? :D

I'm not going to mince words on this next topic though :)

Chelle, great point. I don't understand the Ferrari thing about copies. There are a handful of people in the world that would spend $10 Million on a real GTO 250. Why they think they have to go after the kit car builders is beyond me - no it isn't, its an Enzo thing (even though he's dead). Enzo was a real prick to deal with - I could care less how cool his cars were - he was an egotistical a$$ as a person, IMO. Some how his bad attitude has kept going as far as how the company handles the issue of replica Ferrari’s. I have a very similar opinion of Shelby as well. Why can't these people just take the compliment of imitation and be done with it!!!!???? I wouldn't buy a fake NEW Shelby Cobra from Carroll for $500,000 either. Not worth it and I wouldn't want to put any money in his pocket anyway.

I'm all for the kit builder companies not ever mentioning the word Shelby, Ferrari, Cobra or GTO250, or anything like that. The cars are beautiful enough to sell the kits on the merit of classic beauty without even mentioning the car or company that it's copied from.

Pete - your resident old curmudgeon :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 250 GTO replica. It needs a little work but a great platform to start with. I've been searching for quite some time. Finally found the one for me. Seeing this great example has just re-energized my excitment.

thanks for the compliments on the black gtz i built, this gtz is up for sale due to the owners wife having twin boys and they came early and with a very very healthy price tag.

the owner has $150,000 invested in this gtz you should see it in person

the owner is asking $75,000 any questions please call me @ 425 418 4860 tom

you can view a few photos of the gtz @ http://HTTP://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANmjNw4ZtmzDag the site is at the top of this topic also