HybridZ

New to the forum, quick question

I am having a wiring problem with my Z. I am wondering if I need to have a ballast resistor to use my stock tach?

The car is a '72

sbc 350 bored 30 over

It is a non HEI motor.

Here is a better explaination of what is going on.

Car starts fine, with the car running I can connect the tach, and it works. If I shut the car down, it will not start again until I disconnect the tach.

Do I have a wire crossed? Or do I need to pick up the resistor? I have searched the forums, and read my jtr book. So far I haven't found anything that solves my problem. (The reason I don't have the resistor is, I bought the car without one)

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Tyler

Doesn't the JTR manual say something about replacing the guts of the early tachs with the later ones? What year was the cut off for that?

I think the early tachs worked off current where the later ones work off voltage. If this is true, then the tach could be working like a short.

All the ballast resistor is suppose to do is keep you from buring up points. If you have replaced the points then you don't need it. Can't see how that would make a difference with the tach.

I used the search function, and I was unable to find what I was looking for.

I have the JTR manual, And I have read it many times.

I was looking for a way to do this without buying a 280 tach and swapping the guts.

I am planning to go autometer, but I was looking for an interum solution.

The JTR manual says that for a points ignition system to keep the resistor hooked up as per datsun factory, but I bought the car without one.

I'm not looking at my manual right now, but I belive the 260 is the cutoff.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this without buying parts I am not planning on keeping? I thought about switching to an MSD ignition (or similar). Any recommendations?

I think nobody is hearing this guy right.... i think he is saying he is using a points distributor. In the case of a points distributor the stock 240 tach should work if wired properly..yes?

I used a points dist for a short while but never could get the stock tach to work but maybe i was doing something wrong.

I am using a points dizzy, and I can get the tach to work. But if I don't disconnect the tach, the car will not start. after the car is running, then I car connect the tach. I have read that the ballast resistor has something to do with the proper functioning of the tach/ignition system.

Anythoughts?