HybridZ

Anybody running thicker headgasket on a N42 Turbo'ed motor??

Guest ON3GO

My P90 head on my L28ET thats in my blue Z is cracked beyond repair, so im looking for a head in place of my P90a (solid lifters) head.

found a N42 head forsale for cheap and was wondering if anybody was running a thicker headgasket with a N42 head on a F54 turbo motor?

so anybody have any comments on there setup with a thicker headgasket with a N42 head on a turbo motor? any problems? like or dislike?

whats the differences?

i have a HKS 1.0 metal headgasket and stock internaly F54 turbo block.

Mike

i ran a n42 , but relocated the head temp sensor since the n42 didn't have one. ran it to the coolant thermo housing. also used a 2mm hg to lower compression to 7.8:1,,, with a 1mm hg, it's like 8.5:1... my n42 had a hair line crack between the #6 valve seats, but i didn't care and put it on anyways.. lasted for a while, then got worser and coolant was leaking into the combustion chamber. then went back to the p90 head

Guest bastaad525

mmmmmmmmmmm quench.......

I know this debate will last forever, but uh... you know, some SAY the P90 is more detonation resistant.... and in building (what is sure to be a) pretty crazy powerful turbo motor, I'd want every possible extra measure against detonation that I could get, proven or not. Especially if compression is not an issue and you'd end up with the same compression anyways... why not just hunt down a P90 head?

My old motor was an F54 stock bottom end with a lightly ported N42 and 2mm HKS head gasket. With a P-trim T3/60-1 it made 366 whp @ 17psi. I felt like it had more in it but moved on to a P90/stroker.

I guess that means that I can recommend the F54/P90/2mm combo.

• 2 weeks later...

Excessive clearance between the top of the piston and the quench area leads to detonation - the whole idea of the quench area is to cool down the end gases so they don't detonate PLUS introduce turbulence into the chamber to speed combustion. So - running a thicker head gasket with an N42 would not seem the best way to go... Yes - you can get it to work (tuning), but the part throttle economy will be worse and there is more chance of detonation.