HybridZ

383 stroker kits

Howdy all,

I pulled the Sbc out last week to have a new cam made up to suit the "ported heads" i was supposed to have. Turns out the engine is in not the best nic so i am going to rebuild it while its out. The people who are building my heads are promising 450 hp so i think i will need a fairly stout bottom for it. As usuall bang for buck is very important. I wont be spinning this past 6500 rpm.

Any one have any good sugestions for a stroker kit. I would like everything, Pistons rings bearings the lot. Summit racing loks promising but its not that easy to find what i am looking for. I also have a catalouge from compitition products. They have a kit listed for $700 to $730 usd depending on piston spec. I thought this looked pretty good and I remember Grumpy sugesting people use them in the past. Anyone have any better sugestions. I have to ship to New Zealand so west coast would be better.

Cheers

Douglas

Did a little more searching and found a co. called Powerhouse in Ca. Prices look promising. $469 Usd for a balanced assemble. Got a few more questions. Will a cast crank do for 6500 rpm? Whats with this external/internal balance stuff. Didnt some of you guys say you had fitment problems with external balancers?

Douglas

"Externally balanced" harmonic balancers/vibration dampers small enough to fit (per JTR that's 7 1/4" or smaller) tend to get pricey. I considered running a stock crank 400 but gave it up.

From Summit-

Fluidamper part #720111 $341.95

Fits 400 1970-1980

Outside Diameter 7.250"

Engine Balance- External (26 oz. imbalance)

SFI 18.1

Degrees marked from 50 BTDC to 10 ATDC

There may be others- good luck.

The stock 400 crank in my experience is good to 400hp reliably, beyond that I've seen them develop cracks when used in circle track engines. Street might be good to 450hp. I wouldn't recommend spinning stock rods, either 400 or 350, even with ARP fasteners, polished beams and the works to 6500. I've done it, seen it done and seen them come un-done with disasterous results on the rest of the engine. 6K may be a more realistic redline for that type of bottom end. If you are going to use the stock crank you should consider internally balancing it regardless. Better yet, is to go aftermarket with a crank like a 5140 or a 4140 crank from SCAT or Eagle, get some rods as well, good insurance. The 4340 cranks are race oriented and handle more hp, but the 5140's can be had for $400 and work fine. Cast pistons won't work for long above 6k cause they can't handle the stresses, hypers good to 7k, forged good everywhere, so take your pick. For street it is better to have tighter piston to wall clearance, helps prevent piston cocking in the bore which improves ring seal and wear.

Thanks guys. I will put some hyper... pistons in there. Wasnt sure what the crank would do. I am going to end up spending a lot on the heads so there is no point in being to cheep on the bottom end. I didnt think 6500 rpm was that high. I am used to playing with old toyota four cylinders which can see the other side of 8000 rpm with standard bottom ends.

Douglas

Here's what I did...

I went internal balance after I had a Oil Pickup brace vibrate itself loose due to EXTERNAL balancing on the last 383 stroker, causing the motor to cavetate and lunch the bearings... We did twist it up a little bit... But I don't think I ever got over 6800RPMs...

I went internal balanced, got GOOD Hbeam forged capscrew rods and a Wiseco Pro-True Forged Kit (Included wrist pins and rings) and used a Scat 9000 crank. This bottom end should be good for deep into the 500HP range and didn't cost me over $1200 BUILT... Shop EBAY and get the best deal... Rods were around $300 and Piston kits were around $379. I paid $229 for the new Internal Balance crank...

I'll N-E-V-E-R build another external balance motor in my life...

Mike- 8)

Food for thought. I run a 406 sbc in my 3800 lb monte SS, cola steel crank, dart block, eagle h beam rods, lunati 14:1 pistons, comp roller 260/267 @.050 and .645 lift 104LSA, AFR 220's milled to 66 cc, victor "E", C&S aerosol billet 900 carb on alky, th400 w/ 4000 stall, 9 inch with 4.11's detroit locker, SSM lift bars and run a 26x13x15 M&H slick. Foot braking leaves line at 4000 rpm with the left front tire 6 inches in the air (got pics), 1.54 60 foot times, shift at 5800, traps at 6200 to 6300 results in a best to date 11.66@115 at 6000 feet elevation, so you don't have to wind it tight. Build torque, HP comes along for the ride!

About ready to fire the 260z for the first time weekend after this, 350 stock 4 bolt block, Eagle steel 3.500 stroke crank, carillo h beams with CARR bolts, JE 13:1's, AFR 220's milled to 66cc, edelbrock scorpion, C&S aerosol billet 800 carb on alky Crane TR250/260 .600/.625 108LSA, powerglide, 5000 stall, 9 inch 4.56, detroit locker, QA1 coil overs and ladder bars, 29.5x9x15 slicks.

Hoping for 10.50's off the trailer at altitude, should run in the 9's down at lower altitude somewhere.