HybridZ

How not to turbo yer LS1.... or maybe so....

tannji

OK, I mention a while ago that there was a guy running 630 HP on his D1SC/LS1... and that he was switching to the STS turbo, expecting similar HP. He is just about done, dynoed again, but wants to have another on a mustang dyno, apparently he is having problems hooking up on the Dynojet.

Someone said they wanted to see his results in particular.... as most people just scratch and shake their heads when they hear what he is giving up.

Thread is titled: Come out Come out STS bashers....Dyno #'s

Heres the facts:

D1 11psi

huge cam 230/234 .598/.602 114

6800rpm 630hp 550 tq (graph in sig)

Sts gt70 10 psi

pussy cam 226/220 561/566 115

6400 rpm 625 594 but the spark plugs blew out

Also having issues getting it to load on the dyno, boost is in 1000 rpms sooner on the street. Also come to find out the turbo makes near 80 more tq and hp on back to back runs cause it cools off to fast on the dyno.

But since the spark plugs blew out and need news ones with different gap thats it for today. This kit will go well beyond current numbers. I have already beat the d1 and all the power is well before the d1 also. Slowhawk can chime in and fix anything I relayed incorrectly. So far so good but not done

Oh and your all welcome

He will be posting the next dyno soon, and there will be video.... hopefully of dyno and track.

like i said in that other thread.

my friend just installed one of those turbo kits on his auto LS1 with over 110K miles.

T04E 60-1 and i think 81a/r from the STS Kit

Meth Injection kit

and thats about it.

450rwhp and 480lbs at 7psi.

not the greatest but its pretty quick.

theres more there if he wants it but that motor is pretty worn out as it is.

I honestly dont have any idea what that last post had to do with this topic..... unless it was just an unsolicited flame....? :? Some people wanted further numbers, or doubted that the STS could do much beyond 5 PSI. It scales well, and is capable of some pretty high HP, and is easy to both install and uninstall, for those that need to pass emissions. IAT's are very respectable, and this guy was formerly driving a "Proven" SC setup, and likes this better. Dont really see anything to flame, but then I am not short or hairy, or reside under a bridge, so what do I know?

Guest bastaad525

I wish Z's were still popular enough that we had alternate turbo systems to choose from (or mock and flame.... j/k j/k!!!). Not that it'd be worth going with any of them... but remember that saying, variety is the spice of life!

The sheer comparative lack of upgrades for Z's alone has often made me consider 'trading in' for a newer car.

Well something else to consider with this setup is more available space...

Behind the rear wheels on my Corvette I have enough room to do all sorts of interesting plumbing, since I don't run mufflers on it anyway! :D Routing the pipes, and plumbing the lines seems like it would be an easy fix AND it would certainly make it easy to swap in and out... and depending on who you talk to, HEAT on a turbo can be good OR bad, SO NO, enough ISN'T said... :roll:

Mike 8)

Little update..... STS made an appearance at SEMA 2004.... apparently there were some F-bodies and a GTO at the proving grounds showing off the STS kits. Some of the GM bigwigs were in line to get rides, and were very impressed. STS won the "2004 SEMA DESIGN AWARD, Best High Performance Product". :shock: 8)

OK, I'll accept that.... but my take is that for a system not intended for drag in the first place, I would rather contend with needing to build up heat to get my absolute peak power, rather than having potentially more serious problem with heat-soak. Once you have heat soak, what do you do? And what do you do to address it long term? With the system losing a little heat, its probably going to last longer, and you might have to "warm up" your car or run twice..... when none of us race on the street anyway.... right? lol

Update on PurEvl's car (formerly 630HP on D1SC) he just posted new numbers....

Awesome, just to add more good news did a pull yesterday at 10psi and got 614hp 603tq by 4k Little more tuning this week and 14psi and I should have final numbers for you guys. I did an 8psi pull also and it was 575hp 570tq, that was my street play tune. Car rips.

Just for comparison, this guy just completed a 10PSI T72 conventional mount turbo..... vs PurEvl's T70.

got her tuned at 10 psi, MTI did a good job, nice safe tune, 20 deg timing low 11s AFR. Final numbers were 615 rwhp and 613 rwtq. Forged bottom end, completely stock top end , except CC918s.

Turbo is a T72. Bone stock heads, cam and intake.

Gonna try to get a Ls6 intake on her now see how much difference it makes, maybe some 02 exaust manifolds too.

Graphs and video coming next week, right now Im running off to Thundershootout

LOL, here is PurEvl's impression after he picked the car up and drove it on the highway.... words are better than dynos, sometimes..... :shock:

I picked it up from don tonight and its holding 14 psi on the street and I damn near shit my pants when it hit 10 and then jolted to 14 and almost sent me flying of the highway. Son of a bitch Don has been waiting all day for me to do it so he can now laugh since I almost died.

Final thought, there is no comparison to the super charger what so ever, I would walk my old setup by 4500. I took the wife out and the car hit 4th and felt like it left the ground, Don shes so not happy with you right now. Guess we will leave out our future plans so she dont know LOL!!!! I couldnt be happier with this kit so far.

So, if I go look at most dynographs, they usually intersect at 5250RPMs? Cant say that I ever noticed that before.... but since there are a ton of dynos available to look at, I will. The last post of mine was his butt dyno... seemed to intersect with his posted dynograph pretty well..... :P