HybridZ

4spd?

Guest unknownroadster

Guest unknownroadster

OK I have a 66 roadster, I havent had time to research the car yet as far as which motor is in it, I know theres a 4spd in it but dont know which if theres different ones. What my question is how much HP can the stock tranny handle? This is gonna be a looooong term project for me but when the motor is finally in it I going for bout 300+ HP maybe more if I can afford it...I dont plan on freeway driving with a 4spd but the streets should be fun enough.TIA

Guest unknownroadster

I tried a search her but this is what I got......

Stories & topics: 7 results

Announcements - HybridZ Upgrade Comming - Saturday, October 30, 2004

Announcements - Calif Smog bill passed :-( - Friday, September 24, 2004

Announcements - Stories: D-DAY CALIFORNIA SMOG EXEMPTION ACT NOW - Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Announcements - Stories: California's rolling smog exemption, Act now! - Monday, August 23, 2004

Announcements - Stories: Good news on smog repeal - Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Announcements - Stories: Smog exemption repeal!!! - Thursday, April 29, 2004

Events - Events: June 5th Z Car Show Emerald City Z Club of NC - Friday, April 09, 2004

Ummmmm... I dont think this has anything to do with transmissions....LOL!!! :roll:

That search box doesn't work. Try the one in between the FAQ and Memberlist links at the top of this page.

My understanding is that the 4 speed is the same one that came in the early Z's. Kinda crappy, with crappy shift linkage. I'm with the others, use the 5 speed that comes with the SR. It would be a lot easier to adapt the driveshaft than to adapt the bellhousing IMO.

Guest unknownroadster

Yeah I was leaning towards using the SR 5spd, but I dont think itll clear the X-member thats welded into the frame. I f I have to modify that then Id might as well do a tube chassis....LOL Fab'ing up parts isnt a problem, and I can get a drive shaft made, Im just trying to deal with what I got without spending too much money..? Thanks for your reply jmortensen though........

If your really "set" on having the 4 gear.. (sleeper look I guess? Nostalgia?) why not a later 280Z 4 gear? Mine (75 280) is still holding up, and I'm kind of abusive to it.. (I'm only pushing it with a fairly stock L28 mind you..) They arn't the greatest thing.. but I'm sure they are tougher than the early 240's, and it seems they're pretty much worthless to most Z guys.. Bet you could pick one up cheep.

One last thing, the roadster and Z transmissions are VERY similar. I think datsunlover is right that you can use the Z 4 speed, but I also think that the case differences are so minor that the Z or ZX 5 speed would also fit.

I know some roadsters came with a 2 piece driveshaft and the transmission had an output flange on it with no slip yoke. This would be a bit of a problem in that you'd probably need to use the front 1/2 of a Z drive shaft and that back 1/2 of a roadster shaft if you used the Z trans, or maybe you could just have the Z one lengthened.

Not really sure... but it's definitely worth some effort to check it out if you do go to the trouble of trying to adapt the bellhousing to the SR...