HybridZ

LS1/T56 Update #7

It's been 4 months since my last update. I think I vaguely remember saying something about this project taking 8-12 weeks. I'm now at 7 months but at least nothing is being taken apart any more. Remember - this conversion is being done on a '77 280Z.

The LS1 is sitting on the ground next to the Z. The transmission is ready to go.

The motor mounts have been designed but delivery has been delayed for weeks because the fabrication shop has a "hot defense project". Gee - I wonder what could possibly be hot for the defense department. See - I told you - all that crap in the middle east can directly affect us!

The headers have arrived and will work without body or steering modifications. Contact John@JohnsCars.com in Dallas if you're interested. You'll probably also need to use his motor mounts too as they kind of work together to keep from having to modify the Z. Anyway - motor mounts are now due this week and I've been promised actual assembly will commence this coming Sunday, 2/16/03.

I will be taking a first-hand look at the car next Tuesday. Goal now is to have all the pieces-parts into the car and it running late next month or at least by mid-April which means my numbers were right on the project length, my units should just have been months instead of weeks.

Actually - a 280Z driver could use the JTR manual along with the headers, motor & transmission mounts, nad a few other parts from John's Cars and be on their way now. The whole key to a relatively straight forward LS1/T56 install into the 280Z is the mounts and headers.