HybridZ

the stregnth of these trannies...

240zprace

sorry if this is a repost... :oops: between the n/a 5 speed, T5, and the KA tranny off of a 240sx. it's for a turboz L28et... for those who has the kA in their l28et,, how much ftlb of torque are you guys pushing??? without breaking it...the reason is i've gone thru 2 n/a 5 speeds already and this is the 3rd one on my Z.. i've heard the KA will fit on the z motor with changing the bell housing and shortening of the driveshaft an inch. i've spoken to the guy in Fremont, CA that does the bell housing swap already, but how really much stronger is the KA vs. a T5.. i'm hopping the KA will handle roughly

350-450 ftlb of torque... what do you fellas think :?:

See my post in this thread:

http://hybridz.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=38025

The T5 in the Turbo 280ZX is not that hot compared to 'modern' transmissions.

I would suspect the KA tranny would be the strongest as it's also the most modern. However, I should have mentioned as the message below, it's probably not that strong either.

You can get some really good information from the Mustang boards about the strength's of the various T5's used throughout it's production under Borg/Warner.

The best option is to get a modern High Strength tranny, but that usually means your custom fitting the bell housing/shifter/clutch linkage/clutch fork and spending money on a custom drive shaft. These can be very expensive especially if you have no fabricating experience or access to it.

Check out: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page24.html

Scroll down to the 'Tranny' section.

Hoping for the KA tranny to take 350-450 ftlbs of torque is not going to get you anywhere. It's not going to take that kind of power for long.

If you don't drag launch it, and run a clutch with a little bit of give in it, then it will take it for a long time.

If you're like me, you're gonna continue blowing transmissions.

FYI: The SR20DET transmission has the same back half as the KA24DE transmission. The output shaft is stronger, though... so it will take a little more abuse than the KA tranny.

If you can somehow get your hands on an SR tranny from 97-98, then that is the strongest of the SR trannies. (even stronger output shaft)

The KA tranny being a little weaker than the SR tranny... and you making that much power, tells me that you will have problems with it, though.

I blew my first SR tranny with around 300-325ft/lbs of torque. It snapped as I shifted into second on drag radials at the strip. I gave it a LOT of abuse before it blew, though.

I replaced that with an OS Giken unit, close ratio gears and stronger parts. I've since twisted the input shaft to where it looks like it wants to snap off, and probably twisted the output shaft as well, but I haven't looked inside it yet. However, the tranny just keep on going, taking every bit of 362ft/lbs and a lot of drag racing abuse for over a year. It needs rebuilding, but still runs.

OS Giken stuff is expensive, though... and with the cost of it totalling over $2000 for parts, plus labor... that tells me other options are becoming cheaper and more effective.