HybridZ

updated my photo album a little

mobythevan

It looks like we have more space for pics now so I put up some that I didn't have room for in the old days or pics that got pushed out by MSnS stuff. A couple may be interesting to turbo swap people.

Olds electric fan, ugly engine bay. I'm still bad about speed only and looks later.

1740olds_fan-med.jpg

Custom built throttle linkage from a piece of steel bar I had laying around, it acutally was a stake to hold the swing set down.

1740linkage4_finished.jpg

Air filter in the bad location, behind the radiator. But it fits nice and air gets in the turbo with no restriction. 60mm throttle body installed with JSK spacer.

1740air_filter-med.jpg

280zx turbo hood vents installed in the 240z hood

1740hood1.jpg

Madrel bent exhaust, 2.5 inches down to coupler then 3" rest of the way. Easy to upgrade in the future from turbine down to coupler.

1740exhaust.jpg

S&W roll bar installed, and yes there is plenty of room for me with the seat installed.

1740rollcage2-med.jpg

I have my intercooler installed but can't find any pics of that???

On a stock turbo engine that block vent tube is connected into the intake manifold through a check valve. A tube from in front of the turbo goes up to the valve cover. Then when the intake is under vacuum, fresh air is moved through the block to evacuate crankcase vapors. I just vented both the block and valve cover to atmoshpere using those little air filters. There are arguments for keeping the circulating stock type set up, but I sacrifice some function for simplicity.

Guest bastaad525

I keep going back and forth with the breathers... cant decide which idea I dislike more... oil getting sucked into my intake from a properly routed PCV setup... or oil all over the side of my block and valve cover and that lovely stink in the car when boosted air pressurizes the block and fumes thru the filters.

Eventually I'd really like to reroute it stock like but with a catch tank and be done with it.

i've just pulled my head off cause i blew my head gasket (Doh! last night before the plates came off for winter) and found a fair amount of oil buildup on the pistons. The intake runners also appear to have a fair amount of residue and the block vent tube was dripping with oil. I'm thinking this helped cause my detonation (along with high timing, cold air and excessive rpm :oops: ) and caused my head gasket leak. any thoughts? How does the PCV work? It's got a little stopper in there that does "float" in and out. Any other reasons for the sludge buildup on top off the pistons? (they probably only have around 500miles since install). That can't be good for performance!

I also have the valve cover filter vent, could this be causing it?

OK, here is a picture of the car, but you have to imagine it has front air dam, removed louvers, new wheel tires and solid yellow paint. I hope to do all those things by next summer so the car looks as good as it runs.

1740turbo_240z.jpg

Another pic of the rollcage.

1740rollcage1-med.jpg

The downpipe comparison with stock unit.

1740custom_downpipe.jpg

And the progression of cutting the hood vents, don't ask where the cardboard came from.

1740hood_vent_2-med.jpg

1740hood2.jpg

1740hood1.jpg