HybridZ

did i wipe my cam?

Well today I wanted to adjust my valves because I felt like my 350 isn't running like it should. I adjust my valve while the engine is off. I pull the covers turn the engine and turn it again and none of rockers move. If they do it's barely noticeable. I have hydraulic lifters, and a stock cam. I'm guessing the last time I adjusted them I screwed up. Should I try to adjust them while it's running? Any ideas?

Jason

With a stock cam you will get very little lift compared to the movement you would see with lets say a 520 lift cam. I hope you did not over tighten your roller rockers you can bend the push rods or worse.

How did you adjust them?

Mike

I used the EO-IC method last time. I think my mistake last time was, I

didn't realize that when the rocker arm is down the valve is open. I

think I did it reverse (valve is open when rocker arm is up), I'm not

sure.

What would be the symptoms of bent rods? Or a wiped cam? My

car runs and idles fine but has a clicking noise due to the valves and

seems to be slower than usual.

Jason

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Just reset them and go from there. Stop wasting time on the internet. The internet won't fix your car.

Your valves are probably not closing all the way because the rockers are too tight.

Just reset them and go from there. Stop wasting time on the internet. The internet won't fix your car.

If hes not sure whats wrong with his car then, yes the internet can help fix his car. :roll:

Once you have your valve lash set you could check compression on each cylinder to see if all your valves are opening the same(same compression would indicate this). If you have low compression on multiple cylinders this could indicated a toasted cam or something wrong in your valve train.

Guy

Pop,

He probably just did the initial preload after installing the rockers. You know, tighten the rocker down until the pushrod won't move up/down then tighten another 1/4 or 1/2 turn. This preloads the lifters but should not be the final adjustment. They should really be adjusted with the engine running and fully warmed up, but lots of guys never do that, makes a big mess if you don't use the little plugs for the oil holes in the rockers or a cut up valve cover.

Wheelman