HybridZ

240z Griffin radiator mounting

I don't know if you want to spend the money but I had Griffin custom make mine. All they did was use take their 26"x19" radiator and cut 5/8" off each end tank before they assembled it. Then I had them weld a 2"x2" L shaped bracket aluminum on each tank.

When I got the radiator I placed it in the car and drilled two holes in each "L" bracket using the original holes in the radiator support that were used for the stock radiator.

the be cool stuff is expensive, and most of what i've seen is for mounting electric fans. jtr sells the lower radiator mount for $40 (or around that...). if you have the jtr manual, you can make your own from the diagrams.

you can also make your own mounts for the top out of aluminum strips. whatever you do, use some sort of rubber pad/strip/isolator to sit between the radiator and whatever mount you use. you dont want metal rubbing metal...

i'm not too keen on using the L-brackets on the tanks of the radiator and mounting it solidly. chassis flexing can be hell on a radiator. i've been down that road already...

pete p has a really cool top mount. i'll be doing something similar when i install my griffin, but i'll probably have two separate pieces, one on each end that also serves to hold the fan in place.

Fan_mount_rightv.jpg

Guest Carlissimo

I fabricated some "Z" shaped brackets from 1/8" aluminum bar stock that I bought at the local hardware store. The brackets double as the outboard electric fan mounts. I used some 1/4" rubber padding between the brackets and the radiator itself. Total cost was about $5.00 and 2 hours time.

There is a picture of the intsallation on the web site (see link below).

I am about to order the 24" 19" griffin alum. radiator but am a little curious as to how I am going to mount it? Ive been seaching threw all the past threads but couldnt find one with any actual specs on what I should use to mount it. On the summit webpage "be cool" offers the "Be Cool Aluminum Radiator Mounting Brackets." Would this work? If not where can I get mounts from, any one sell them? If you could please just post up what you used to mount your radiator, I know a lot of you used custom mounts, where did you get them made, what do they look like? and is there anything I need to order with the radiator that it doesnt come with? (small things one might forget like radiator caps or what not)

Guest 12lbsofbeans

I have an afco alum radiator mounted like pete's, I believe with an aluminum top panel and made a very easy but strong brace for underneath. It might be like the jtr brace - I haven't seen it. I do have some pics I could email to someone if they want to post them.

As far as mounting radiators solid or by welding on the tanks- this is not prefered and will shorten rad. life. Yes the stock Z radiator was mounted solid - but the stock engine is inline and does not torque like a V series motor when you gas it rockon.gif . So the chassis in the stock setup is fine since it is not twisted by the motor but with a V8 swap the chassis twist enough to pull a radiator apart over time.

Matt cheers.gif

I paid Griffin $425 including shipping and had to wait about two weeks for it.

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on using the L-brackets on the tanks of the radiator except Giffin says they build a lot of them that way. Also, mounting it solidly with L brackets is the way Nissan did it on a stock Z. I think you will find that the radiator core support in a Z is quite stiff. I've been running it that way for four years now without any trouble.