HybridZ

Do you like the Skyline or it's engine?

texasz

Guest bastaad525

What I dont like is how the skyline has somehow evolved into the Infiniti G35. Before, the skyline and Z where two totally seperate and different vehicles, with unique character and totally different drivetrains and such. The Skyline became legendary in part due to it's amazing engine and drivetrain, and partially because of it's character... a very unsporty looking almost sedan like car that could whup on the best the world had to offer.

Now, if the G truly is the new Skyline... it equates to being nothing more than a slightly nicer looking 2+2 Z. I dont know what engine configuration will make it into the upcoming GT-R, but does it matter? It won't be an RB26, it wont be an inline 6, period, and that sux. I really lament the loss of the two last great inline sixes... the RB and the 2JZ... why they've been taken out of production is beyond me.

The Skyline has lost it's character. To even call it a Skyline is just silly.

the RB and the 2JZ... why they've been taken out of production is beyond me.

its all about money. im sure Toyota didnt make that much money letting that 2JZ be so buillt proof.

but i really dont care for the 2JZ.. yes they make power and can handle it very well, but most of the high powered 2JZ's have in my eyes the WORSE powerband ever... ______/| lol

mike

Guest bastaad525

Most big power turbo engines have pretty peaky, narrow power bands. It's true though that whenever I see supra's and skylines compared, they always seem to give the nod to the RB's wider power band. But it's all relative... I guarantee you a 800hp RB motor is going to be a peaky motor as well. Hell those kinds of engines don't even 'come on' until like 5000rpm........ Don't know how you'd have fun driving that on the street.

ya but the thing about the GTR is its got AWD to make that peaky big power usable.

also a good high powered motor is VG30DETT's, nice power band and not very peaky at all.

KA's are good at that too, as well as 4G63's...

mike

The turbo needed to make 600 let alone 800 hp will have lag on a 3.0 motor regardless of if it's a 2JZ or VG30. If it didn't it would have to run a small hot side killing it's top end, and then the fast spool with hte big turbo would have serious surge issues.

Here's a big HP VG30D.

joel_620whp.jpg

Just like anything to do w/ modifying a car EVERYTHING is a trade-off. The more power you want, the the less driveability you get. The more "racing" parts you put on, the less of a "street" car it becomes. . . sux, but true.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

Edit: The only way to get a better torque curve AND raise horsepower on a skyline is to increse displacement, or spend an insane amount and get the VVT kit from HKS (over $3k)

Guest bastaad525
The turbo needed to make 600 let alone 800 hp will have lag on a 3.0 motor regardless of if it's a 2JZ or VG30. If it didn't it would have to run a small hot side killing it's top end' date=' and then the fast spool with hte big turbo would have serious surge issues.

Here's a big HP VG30D.

[img']http://www.z32power.com/news/2004_may_26_620rwhp/joel_620whp.jpg[/img]

Just like I said... no big hp turbo motor is gonna make any power below 5000rpm. That's a pretty nice flat curve on that VG though, once power does come on. Anyways... power curve is still all relevant anyways... Since the 2JZ comes with a six speed (well if you like shifting for yourself) I imagine the gearing is pretty close ratioed, so that peaky power curve wouldn't be such a detriment. You shouldn't have too much trouble keeping it in the curve. Not that I've ever driven an 800hp 6 speed Supra, so I could be wrong there :D Anyways I'm not trying to debate either one is a better motor (already been there!) and most likely wont ever own either one of them... I'm just sad to see the both of them go, as they were both top of the line as far as factory turbo japanese engines go. And of course I'm a sucker for a straight six with a turbo or two on it.

The G35 is a Skyline. In Japan its called the Skyline 350GT.

All GT-R imports to the States are at a standstill. I'm not sure why. I've also heard Motorex is going to fold.

The next GT-R, due for 2007, will be AWD and probably G35 based. It will be powered by a twin turbo VQ35, making 400hp. Toyota and Honda have their own cars comming out with near or above 400hp. The Toyota engine will be a NA V8 in a Soarer-like roadster. Expect the new GT-R to cost aroung 70K. A manufacturer HP war could make a lot of our "built" engines obsolete. :shock:

Guest bastaad525

I thought the TT V6 stuff was just speculation so far, for the new skyline? All the articles I've read say the engine config is very much still up in the air.

I still say that's whack... they shoulda kept the skyline and Z as real seperate cars... I mean, even with them having the same platform, they could have still at least made them LOOK different body wise. And ditching the RB just adds bitter icing on the already bitter cake.

platform sharing sux.

I wouldn't worry about a manufacturer HP war making our engines obsolete... our Z's still have weight on their side. And anyways many of the built motors around this forum are still putting out more power than most of these factory sports cars, even if the new skyline does come with 400hp, and still for way less money invested... always the best part :)

There was originally a debate over using the TTV6 or a NAV8. They have settled on the TTV6. You may not read that in the main stream media for a while. Not to sound all 007ish, but that's all I can say about it without getting people in trouble. Latest word has it as a done deal.

The car was originally supposed to have its own chassis (Nissan GTR) but at the present time, its looking like the G35 base. Cost savings or because the G35 looks so BADASS, I don't know.

No, 400hp won't push out current engines, but I've been around for a few power revolutions :lol: . eg: A while ago, Nissan L turbos and Toyota 5, 6, and 7M turbos ruled the street at 500hp. When Nissan introduced the R32 GT-R which could make 500hp without changing anything inside the engine, they were instantly crowned king, and the L's and M's quickly faded from the lime-light. When Toyota or Nissan come out with a 400hp engine, it means that 600hp will probably be possible on the stock motor without the engine breaking a sweat, and for very little investment.

I'm old, but not old school. I love technology! I'm chompin' at the bit waiting to see where this will take me in terms of the never-ending quest for higher horsepower. I'm a horsepower junkie. I have friends at test cell who let me sit under F15's at max power. There's no way to describe it. 8)

Everyone seems to be so stuck on the "original" skyline motor. . . Why?

I can't really say a whole lot, but here's all the info that I can say. . . The VQ35 has a lot. . . did I mention a LOT more power potential than the RB series could EVERY hope for.

I have no doubt that there will be ppl pumping out 1000+ hp like its a big block w/in the year. . . Yea, it might have to be sleeved, but it's still going to be cheaper than getting that kind of hp from the RB

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com