HybridZ

Question about a EMS's for my Blue L28ET Z...

Guest ON3GO

Ok right now the motor is getting rebuilt and i have this engine managment system thing on my mind.

right now heres the setup.

1982 L28ET rebuilt motor

P90 head w/ ported and 3 angle valve job

ARP head studs

HKS Metal Headgasket

ported and polished N42 intake manifold

Ported Exhaust manifold

Scottie GNZ downpipe

Full 3in mandrel bent exhaust

GReddy Profec B boost controller

JSK fuel rail

Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

60mm t-body

Starion fmic

blitz bov

and a few other things..

BUT i have the 1977 280z ECU and harness

the afm is sorta "tuned" but still.

ill be putting in some 370cc injectors soon to but for now the stockers are ok for the boost ill be running.

10-14psi...

now i also have a MSD 6-BTM unit that i havent installed yet, now that will contoll timming but not fuel so im still not really in control to make this car run better.

now the ecu has done ok so far, car runs very strong, well did when it was working, but i get really REALLY bad gas mileage, and off boost it wasnt the best car to drive, well i dont want to make it sound like it ran shitty, because it didnt really.

anyways what do you think i should do?

megasquirt? can i still run a MSD 6-BTM unit with it?

haltech E6K? can i still use the BTM unit with this also?

see i paid all that money for it so i sorta want to use it.

anyways anybody have any ideas to what would be the best way to go?

im open to ideas.

i just want to make this car run awesome and very reliable on and off boost.

plus i want to use all the power it will make..

mike

You could use the BTM with MSnS, but what may be the easier route is to use an NA dizzy with the BTM and then only use MS for fuel. That would be the easiest to setup and be going. That would save having to precisely trigger MS for spark use. It would also save the extra messing around with it controlling the MSD box. But, ulimately the spark control in MSnS would give you easier ignition curve adjustment and serve the function of the BTM.

so i dont need a MSD ignition unit with the MSnS? like not even a 6AL?

because if so ill just sell the MSD unit all together.

ok so WHAT in all do i need to run a MSnS setup on my 77 280z w/ 82 L28ET motor?

like if im gonna buy it i want to buy everything right now at once, so theres no loose ends.

mike

ok hmm.

now im also a tad confoused on something.

if i buy from this website http://www.rs-autosport.com is it already MADE to just install and thats it, or do i still have to configure it and build it pretty much.

also how do you "tune" a MSnS? laptop???

i read up on the site but still lost.

also is there a list of whats ALL needed to make it work 100% on our S30 L28ET powered Z cars..?

like i said before i hate getting everything and then not having a connector or a relay or something that i need to make it work.

mike

Guest bastaad525

heheh your walking the path a couple days behind me here.... I just went thru a lot of this with Moby after I saw that site as well. Ya gotta love MS... it's so inviting and yet so intimidating at the same time.

From what I gather the MS box itself, comes fully assembled, tested and ready to go if you buy from RS autosport, but not at all tuned, however since some guys have already got theirs running you could load one of their maps at least as a baseline to get the car running and driveable. You'd still need to fine tune with a WB or dyno time.

With their wiring harness you still have to wire it all in, one wire at a time... I think they specify that they'll crimp on some of the connector ends for you though if you order the ends from them, so a bit more 'plug and play'. I can only imagine if you've already wired in a stock turbo swap yourself (I didn't wire mine), that you'd be fine to wire in MS. Me, I'm scared as hell to try.

I think the only necessities to get it in are the MS box and wiring harness, a GM air temp sensor (MS can be configured to use the stock nissan head temp sensor), a 240sx TPS, and a couple pullup resistors, which are detailed in Moby's sticky at the top. Oh and possibly an HEI ignition module, and an older lap top is preferable, one that has a serial port, and running windows 98 (at least one person had issues with WinXP running MT). You probably want to get yourself a relay board, and stimulator board for testing and troubleshooting if there's problems. You can reuse the connector ends from your stock wiring harness for the injectors and sensors, I imagine.

is there away to use a newer laptop?

also i have acess to a LM-1 (ahem... Chris :D) and free dyno time anytime at school so im good on that.

this gets rid of the AFM right...?

and has anybody sat down and priced it all out to see what a fully running setup costs.

reason i ask is if its anywhere near a microtech or a haltech that i can get from Alex Costa ill just do that.

Mike

Guest bastaad525

You can use a new laptop if it has a serial port. Also I THINK you can get a USB to serial port adapter for newer ones that dont have it?

Yes MS gets rid of the AFM.

I priced one a while ago, when I was pondering building one myself. I priced it with the unit itself, all sensors, and included the price of a cheap, older laptop, and came out to about $400. I dont' remember for sure now, but I THINK I was also counting the price of the stimulator and relay boards.

I think you could spend about that same amount if you already have a laptop, and go thru RS Autosport instead.

is there away to use a newer laptop?

also i have acess to a LM-1 (ahem... Chris :D) and free dyno time anytime at school so im good on that.

this gets rid of the AFM right...?

and has anybody sat down and priced it all out to see what a fully running setup costs.

reason i ask is if its anywhere near a microtech or a haltech that i can get from Alex Costa ill just do that.

Mike

im also interested here. Alex costa and i have talked alot about it recently and he has made the mocrotech look VERY appealing.

Microtech is what i have on the Hulk Z, im sure its better then MSnS but if its cheaper then, hey better for me at the momment. but if the savings arent much ill go Microtech.

Mike

well i know for a fact that the fmic on my car has made 287rwhp and over 300lbs of torque on a L28ET Z, so for now its okay. once i start my new job ill be making some okay money and ill be making my own.

Mike