HybridZ

LT1's cost for a tune up@!$#%@#^

I just called the shop to find out the diagnosis on my TransAm...

Basic tune-up 942.00

includes cap/rotor/wires/plugs/installation

so I called the dealership to double check the prices..

Optispark sensor 436.80

cap/rotor kit 207.00

wires/plugs 240.00

install it myself (12 pack) 8.99

so I called Autozone

cap/rotor 162.99

wires 79.00

plugs 49.00

install it myself 2.99 bottle of (boonesfarm)

Just call me strawberry hill!

Myron

Guest nosz350

HEY MAN HAVE FUN I'VE GOT A 95 CAMARO W/LT1 THE TUNE UP NOT HARD BUT ITS A TIME KILL.COUPLE OF IDEAS,I DONT KNOW HOW MANY MILES YOU GOT ON YOUR BUT IT MAY BE A GOOD IDEA TO GO HEAD AND USE THE OTIMA SPARK SENSOR.BEEN THERE DONE THAT.I'LL LOOK TO SEE WHAT SIZE THE INVERTED TORKS IS(YOU GOT TO HAVE IT OR ITS A NO GO) AND ALSO YOU NEED TO PUT A WATER PUMP ON IT IF YOU'VE NOT PUT ONE ON IT YET,(IF YOU HAVE YOU ONLY NEED A SET OF WATER PUMP GASKIT). IF YOU GET A CHANCE AND YOU WANT I'LL CALL YOU TELL YOU A FEW TRICKS ON THAT LITTLE JOB. BOBBY

I just put a water pump on ot 6 months ago.

then the belt came apart and a small piece

of debris went behind the pulley and

tore up the front main seal. I think the oil leaking on the ignition caused the misfires.

I am going to try the basic tune up(cap/rotor) first. I may still need the optispark sensor..Rick you listening!...

This whole deal will be my Saturday fun day..

I sure am glad my dad has a lift!!

Myron

Yup, our water pump went blooey too. Had my friend the Mustang mechanic fix it for me - he's cheap and does good work. He HATES doing plug changes on those suckers though and when it's time to do mine I'm not sure he'll be willing frown.gif With our MPG we need to consider doing them soon I'm afraid, plug wires wouldn't hurt either I'm betting. I MADE the coil wire we fried - at 7am on a work morning that was no fun!

Guest nosz350

HEY MYRON, IS THE MISFIRING AT MID TO HIGHER RPM? IF SO THEY THIS LITTLE CHEAT.TAKE THE COIL WIRE OFF AND SEE IF ITS BAD DIRTY IF SO CLEAN AND GO DRIVE MAYBE PROBLEM SOLVED!!I'VE DONE IT ON A FRIENDS CAR BUT MINE IS NEVER THAT SIMPLE.HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO CHANGE THE WATER PUMP?? BOBBY

Guest nosz350

HEY MYRON, IS THE MISFIRING AT MID TO HIGHER RPM? IF SO THEY THIS LITTLE CHEAT.TAKE THE COIL WIRE OFF AND SEE IF ITS BAD DIRTY IF SO CLEAN AND GO DRIVE MAYBE PROBLEM SOLVED!!I'VE DONE IT ON A FRIENDS CAR BUT MINE IS NEVER THAT SIMPLE.HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO CHANGE THE WATER PUMP?? BOBBY

Yup,

Those LT1 water pumps sure do suck-ith royally. I replaced mine after 70,000 highway miles. That's about par for 1970's engineering... but totally unacceptable for modern design.

The thing I like best about that "wonderful" GM LT1 design is the fact that when the water pump pukes it's guts out, coolant immediately contamitnates the entire ignition system, forcing an expensive replacement of that ever-so-wonderful "Opti-crap" igntion system.

It really chaps my ass when I see an OEM bludgen

Sorry, I just had to vent.

-Andy

Bobby, The car misses at all rps. At idle

it sits there and "chugs" away. My best

guess is that the combination of the water pump then the front main seal going has just contaminated the whole mess. It took about 2 hours to change the water pump. That included me going to the parts house to get it. You must also consider the fact that I had the use of a lift and air tools which makes things tons easier.

I was considering using an LT/LS 1 on my next Z car, but I think I changed my mind.

Myron,

Have you checked the fuel pressure lately?

My LT1 did exactly what you just described (missing at all rpm's, made it feel like an ignition problem) and it turned out that my fuel pump was pushing out waaay low pressure.

...just a thought. I was certin that my problem was in the ignition, until I noticed about 8 psi on the fuel rail. I'm surprised it ever ran!

-Andy

Andrew, the shop told me that the computer

logged over 250 misfires. There are other things that I think confirm an ignition problem. The early ignition causing the engine to pop back against the starter and breaking the whole head of the starter.

Plus the water pump went out about 6 months ago and it leaked all over the optispark unit. Then it threw a belt an a piece of debris got tangled in the crank pully and it started leaking oil all over the optispark

unit as well. plus the 115,000 miles on it

without getting a tune up didnt help much.

I will check the fuel pressure when i get it all apart though!

Myron

Well, I put the car all back together.

That was a real treat! Anyway,

it still runs like crap! I checked the fuel

pressure as Andrew suggested and it is

around 45 psi at idle and it jumps when

you hit the throttle. It seems to have NO

low end power, but when you stand on it

and the rpms are above 4k it seems to be pulling pretty good, it shifts hard and I ran it up to about 120mph no problem..

the service engine light flashes about 50 times then stops for about 30 seconds

Any more suggestions?

Myron

Guest Locutus

I would pay the 70 bucks or so for them to diagnose the problem, then fix it yourself. With todays computers it so hard to guess what the problem maybe with out some kind of computer to hook it up to.

Mike

I just paid the 60 bucks and they told me

ignition (250 misfires logged)! When my dad and I took the old optispark apart we found

where it was misfiring in the cap/rotor. we

also found that the metal heat shield caps that cover some of the spark plugs were arcing through the head of the wire...

I just hosed it down with carb cleaner and also put a bunch of injector cleaner in it.

Im going to drive it to dallas to see if it clears up..