HybridZ

can one convert a pedestal grinder to a buffer?

260ZRED

Got one at my boss's shop. :lol: Looks to me like someone (probly my boss) extanded the axle with a piece of pipe, machined on one end to accept a buffing wheel. I've never used it, but one of the guys used it on a valve cover of his.. turned out reeeeal shiney! Got to make sure the grinder is SECURED well (read; bolted down!) to a base or table.

Guest Phil1934

I buff a lot and have not needed an extended shaft. I do need to find something better than a hand drill for the cone buffs for the tight places, though. And I need to move it as everything in that area of the shop is covered with buffer threads.

this is what I need to buy:

54897.jpg

there's nothing interfering with the buffing wheel, i.e. its possible to buff say a valve cover or other engine parts..

I'm going to wait for a decent one to pop up on ebay.. close to home. They want around 50-60 dollars just to ship something like this. (it does weight a ton..supposedly)

Guys, Harbor Freight tools sells Chinese versions of that very type of buffer (I have one). I think it was about $60-$80. I try to buy American made first, but this particular item won out due to the humongous difference in price. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40668

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36127

Davy

this is what I need to buy:

54897.jpg

there's nothing interfering with the buffing wheel' date=' i.e. its possible to buff say a valve cover or other engine parts..

I'm going to wait for a decent one to pop up on ebay.. close to home. They want around 50-60 dollars just to ship something like this. (it does weight a ton..supposedly)[/quote']

260ZRED-

Pay attention to the speed of the grinder. You really want to keep your buffing speeds low, +/-1500 RPM.

Eastwood sells a full line of the pads and compounds that you will need. I didn't like the look of the pads selling at HF.

FWIW, yes, it weighs a ton, get the pedestal and bolt it down to the concrete floor or she will walk.

And don't attempt polishing your brake lines or fuel supply lines with it. It likes to eat those :oops::shock::(

Wayne

thx guys. I decided to go with HF... I kinda like their stuff anyway :oops: Im gonna buy it tommorow. If it totally sucks Ill take it back where it came from.

I already got the pedestal and the concrete sinkers and even the damn $$$ concrete bit they said would eat concrete no prob. lol live n learn...?