HybridZ

Smoked a Centerforce DF. 500 mi. break in?

Kazuya1274

After putting my Turbo back together with a 240sx TB, ported intake, and bigger injectors, I started noticing my 6 month old centerforce DF slipping. Keep in mind that in those 6 months, my Z has been down at least 1 month. Flywheel was resurfaced prior to clutch install. It is still grabbing, but starts to slip under boost in 5th gear. I recently came back from some grueling dragstrip runs, so that probably started the beginning of the end for the clutch. I only broke in the clutch for about 100 miles. My question is, is the 500 mile break-in period for the DF extremely important? I have two options on this: Install the spare CDF I have (don't ask!) and break it in for a full 500 miles, or sell the spare DF and get a much more expensive clutch. The car definately has a lot more power after the upgrades, and I've already busted a U-joint on the left halfshaft. Car needs to run more than sit.

81 280ZX Turbo- 13 PSI, TO4B/T3, NA computer, Eclipse 390CC, JSK fuel rail, 240sx TB, ported intake, custom intercooler, aluminum intake piping, aluminum radiator, 3" SS downpipe, 3" exhaust, BEGI FPR, Autometer boost, oil, and volt.

If memory serves me, the break-in period for the CF/DF clutch is not merly sugested or recomended but more like mandatory for optimum performance and longevity. On mine I believe they specify 500mls of NORMAL street use prior to any hard launches. (whatever you consider a hard launch) and (whatever you call normal street use) My wife considers my version of normal driving a bit on the psycho-side. Those are prety relative terms. However, the 500mls seems to be more of a hard No. Only way to find out for sure, contact someone of tech assistance at CF and ask them a hypethetical question.

I just shreaded mine after a reletive shiort period of time as well, my car had less miles as it's almost exclusively an autocross car, turned out the wron collar was with the trans, I am still running the cfdf pressure plate with a nismo disk and a new collar

CFDF clutch in my car has been perfect since I installed it. I have 9000 autocross/fun miles on my car with the CFDF. I followed the break-in procedure exactly and it seems fine.

With that in mind and given others experiences, I'd consider using the CFDF pressure pate and getting a bit more aggressive clutch disk to use with it. And break in procedures are important, not just a suggestion.

The CFDF did wonderful in my car also until I got closer to it's power rating. Maybe I was making more torque then I thought I was. 5th gear highway blast is where it started and then it just finally would give up at will. In my opinion the CFDF is a great clutch if you know your going to stay well within it's ratings. If going for the highest HP you can afford is your thing then I would try somethign else.