HybridZ

Satin Finishes, but in Single Stage?

Zhadman

I did a bit 'o searching and didn't quite find what I was looking for... so here goes:

Do they make single stage satin finishes? I've been thinking of painting my Z in satin black (not primer...paint! :D ) but I'd like to do it without needing a clear coat. My reasoning: I may want to put a non-satin stripe on the car. Having to base black, clear coat satin, mask stripe, and clear coat (non-satin) seems like a labor intensive job (not that painting isn't, but you know what I mean).

I'm still doing some research, but perhaps someone here at HybridZ has some experience with satin finishes.

History:

My grandfather built hot rods back in the late fifties and early sixties (he has a chop top 30 Model A now) and he used to love painting his cars in black primer. The other day we were kicking around some ideas about colors and he mentioned that the Z would look awesome in flat black (or satin black). I love the ol' guy and think it would be a fitting tribute to him since he's helped me so much with my project.... besides... Satin Black when done right looks downright awesome!

Anyone seen that Chrysler ME 412? [drools]

[diatribe complete]

I'd check on the John Deere option. As you can see here

http://www.desertzassociation.com/membersrides/Robert/75z/pic/pic8.jpg

my car is flat black with a catalyzed primer. I also spoke with some old school street rodders prior to painting it and they suggested Dupont DP 90. I tried that first and it lasted about one year in the sun. This second application of the catalyzed primer seems to be much more durable. It is also a sealer some moisture is not a problem but oily stuff can be.

130_0405_skunk2sir_01_z.jpg

130_0405_skunk2sir_07_z.jpg

This is similar to what I'm going for... but not quite so flat. I would like a bit more sheen. The article on this car states that it was painted black and then several coats of satin clearcoat were applied.

I was hoping to find a sprayable, non-aerosol, enamel that I could buy by the pint, or gallon. I've spent so much time on bodywork that I want a real, high quality, finish.

I have found satin clearcoat in the Sherman Williams(?) Ultra 7000 series, which is the paint we typically use. I might have to go this route.

I'll look up Blitz and see what I come up with. I appreciate everyones replies.

Here's a little more from a board for traditional rods' date=' most of which are flat black

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=618156&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Do a search for blitz on that board and there are several other threads[/quote']

Here is a color very, very close to what I'm looking for. It is called PPG Hot Rod black.

618668-45-HostHotel.JPG

I've searched all over the net and only found 1 place that sells it. It was $8.xx a quart. Does anybody know where else to get it in a gallon size?

Thanks

-Rustrocket

I have read in some of those Hot Rodding threads that it's hard to find in CA... because of environmental reasons.

I sprayed my car with Satin Black Rustoleum. It's really cheap, and you can get the texture you want by changing how much it is thinned. I wanted a really thick, abraisive texture so I left it fairly thick so it would not smooth out so much. This paint is also really good at hiding imperfections in bodywork. Basically, I love it. Here are some pics. The slight unevenness of the texture is due to my lack of experience and painting in a dark garage.

544529_98_full.jpg

544529_92_full.jpg

544529_93_full.jpg

544529_95_full.jpg

544529_99_full.jpg