HybridZ

73 240z with Ls1 passenger side header fitment.

I am runing 98 vette LS1 , It has the hammer head style oil pan . It 's given me great clearance under the car with the JCI kit I would say about an inch above the crossmember , But the hammer head shaped oil pan has a wing that sweeps dead below the center the 4 exhaust ports. Has any one out there come contact with this super tight fitment? PLEASE HELP I AM SO CLOSE :?

I don't think the Corvette pan is the best pan for the Z car because the Camaro LS1 oil pan has plenty of ground clearance, and doesn't need the wings on the side to keep the oil in the pick-up area.

According to reliable sources on this forum, the 1-3/4" headers on the LS1 provide a substantial power gain on the LS1 engines, compared to the 1-1/2 and 1-5/8" headers.

JTR has been working on 1-3/4" headers for the LS1 Z V8 swap.

This past weekend, the 2nd generation prototypes of the 1-3/4" headers were test fitted into a Z car with the John's car LS1 mounting kit. The design of John's car mounting kit makes it a bit more difficult to run headers on the driver's side than the mounts others on this forum have used to install the LS1.

Hopefully, the 1-3/4" headers will be available within two weeks.

I used a Sanderson sweep back block hugger 1 1/2 on the driver side. All I had to do was beat the (%*#@) out of it . The passenger side is a bad dream of frame, oil pan , starter , that bushing housing box on frame. thanks to sanderson for pushing me in this direction even when I asked about the custom headers. :evil:

Sanderson is making the LS1 Z headers for us.

When you talk to a salesperson at Sanderson, the sales people try to be as helpful as possible, and offer the lowest price.

The 1-1/2" block hugger/street rod headers you used can be made to work in the Z with hammering, and some trimming, but as you mentioned, the passenger's side outlet is too far rearward, and is too close to the starter for comfort.

If you can leave a car at Sandersons, they can make custom headers, however, shorty custom headers can easily exceed $1000.

As an example, the semi-long tube prototype headers for MAS 280's LS1 powered Mazda RX7 has exceeded $2000, but we are paying for most of this because we believe we can recover the costs by selling copies of the headers to others with LS1 RX7s. See the following link for the forum on this subject, as well as the photographs of the work being done.

http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=25045

The 1-3/4" headers we are working on for the LS1 Z car address the issues of the problems you are experiencing with off the shelf headers.

MAS 280 had Sanderson make custom 1-3/4" headers for his LS1 Z, as did LS1 Z.

MAS280 and LS1 Z paid about $800 for their headers.

We used MAS 280's headers for the prototyping work. When the headers are made in production quantities, the price will drop almost in half.

I used a Sanderson sweep back block hugger 1 1/2 on the driver side. All I had to do was beat the (%*#@) out of it . The passenger side is a bad dream of frame, oil pan , starter , that bushing housing box on frame. thanks to sanderson for pushing me in this direction even when I asked about the custom headers. :evil:

I too am using JCI kit in my 240Z. I am using the Sanderson 1 1/2" headers. (should be fine for stock motor) Drivers side, no pounding necessary but I had to trim about 1/4" from the top back of the JCI mount. The passenger side does bolt right on but the outlet flange is very close to the starter. I need to send them back toSanderson, Jeremy said he can tweek it a little to provide more clearance and also he will have them coated for me.

I've got the JCI headers (1 1/2") with a '98 Camaro LS1. Obviously no problem with the fitment with 13,000+ miles on it now. I will admit, however, that I've got a heat shield between the collector and the starter on the passenger side since the pipe is routed just in front of, and then right beneath the starter. It is still alive after nearly 18 months though I did overheat one of the starter leads and had to reroute it.