HybridZ

Early Z Front End on a 280ZX

Chewievette

Hey all, I'm new around here so please overlook my obvious noobieness. I'm going to be picking up my first Z this weekend! Its a 1979 280ZX, and I'm TOTALLY psyched!! You can tell I'm a car guy because I dont even have the car yet and I'm planning out the mods!! Go figure... Anyways, I've been looking at the body kits and such available and I was curious if I bought the front fenders, air dam, and hood from the subtle Z kit and a front end from an early Z could these parts be adapted to my ZX? I always liked the look of the early Z's. I now it'll take a LOT of massaging, but I want to know if it will physically fit on my car? Sorry for being so long and drawn out, but I'm just so excited!

No it won't physicaly fit, mainly because the early z fenders have more space towards the hood, and a narrower hood, where the zx fenders hardly have any horizontal area next to the hood, and the hood takes up most of the space. Another thing to consider is that early z's have a large grille panel by the windshield (not sure what the technical name for it is) and zx's just have the hood going up to that area and very little grill section.

To answer your question, yes it's possible with alot of massaging (have you seen the z front end on the 240sx's?) but in my opinion, the early z front end has too many curves for the boxy zx body.

One thing I've dreamed up on a zx is having the open mouth look that alot of z's (including mine) have. I would achieve this by having an airdam and taking of the bumper but leaving the original hood and headlight buckets in place. I actualy think I saw this done once before.

Welcome to the forum!

-Oliver

Parafon is the name for that thingy near the windshield :)

I dont know why you would like to convert , but olie05 covered the difficulties.

futher a ZX has MUCH better aereodynamics,

Im actually fixing up a open mouth zx like early z's, by removing the bumber and molding the airdam etc.

Check my site, i have ideas, but have not really come that far, but it wont be long.

I will also fabricate an OEM z front grill out of 2/3 s30 grills to fit my front end.

well good luck!

Okay, I get it... No one wants me to try this. Oh well, I guess I wont then.

But I'll modify my idea though! I really like the way your thinking by removing the bumper and molding in an air dam. I think I'm going to use the subtle Z air dam as a base because I really like how it looks ...unless you object to that too... (did I mention that I'm slightly sarchastic?) And mold a new hood with more of a point at the nose to match. I'm still debating if I should do the engine swap or the body work first, I'm kinda leaning twards the body work so I can have it looking good for the late summer cruises. But I dont know yet, any recommendations on that? Thanks for the tips guys!

Well im not objecting, if you really want to, go for it, but i do not see the time and effort paying off, since there is not a whole lot of diffrende, though how would you try to get the lines of the side to stay correct?

But im al for loosing bumber, though earodynamics will suffer...

There is also a MJP GNOSE on teh market for the s130, maybe that is more your thing !!

http://www.mjpauto.com/

or the ISMA kit

Frank

For your engine?

What are your goals?

Well im not objecting' date=' if you really want to, go for it, but i do not see the time and effort paying off...

But im al for loosing bumber, though earodynamics will suffer...

For your engine?

What are your goals?[/quote']

You know I was kindding about being angry with you guys, right? I've had enough hairbrained ideas come and go through my head that its barely worth fighting about them.

I like your idea of loosing the bumper, for one because it'll save me some effort, and for two it should look just as good (I hope). Even though I work on aircraft all day, suprisingly Aerodynamics aren't my priority, If I was trying to set speed records then I might.

My engine (If my friend comes through on the deal) will be a sbc 350 from a Camaro which supposably was cranking out 450hp before the accident, its in a junkyard right now. Eventually, like a couple years after the sbc swap, I want to get the banks sidewinder twin turbo system which is good for 600+hp depending on your setup. I also intend on installing a roll bar/cage in the car. I'm including a drawing I did last night of how I want the car to look, in case you were curious.

Picture1sm.jpg

heres the link for the mjp g-nose; https://www.internetsecureserver.com/mjpauto/p83.html

I REALY like that look for the 280zx (g-nose), It realy makes me wanna get one!!!

CHEWIVETTE: I think you should go for the v8 engine swap before you do body work, primarily because you probably won't enjoy a slow car that looks fast. when you get in the car and drive it you can't even see the body, so why do that first? (thats my mentality on modding cars) Also, the car you drew looks more like a yz rear flared early z with a roll pan, convertible kit and zx tails, imo. Either way it looks cool and you have an idea of what you want to do with your car.

-Oliver

heres the link for the mjp g-nose;

Also' date=' the car you drew looks more like a yz rear flared early z with a roll pan, convertible kit and zx tails, imo.

-Oliver[/quote']

That G nose looks awesome! I think I might go with that over the open nose.

I was thinking of another reason for doing the v8 first, it would be a total sleeper! You'd never expect a rusty hunk-a-junk to have 450hp!! Plus I wont have to worry about the paintjob when I'm cutting and grinding.

Its kinda funny that you say it looks like an early Z because I used a couple of pictures of Zs for reference when I drew it.

I attempted to draw the front end tonight but I just couldn't get it to look the way I wanted it. I'll probably try again later, maybe I'll try to draw a G nose...

Guest 81na ZX

I just went out and checked my parts pile - the stock 81 bumper + rubber cover + "shock absorbers" is 40lbs +- 1lb. The rear is going to be close to that too.

My plan is to fab up something to take its place that doesn't weigh nearly as much - and maybe just shave the rear

wow that G-nose actually looks good only I bet it doesn't do much in the case of ground effects. Does it just match stock height?

I think it looks good enough to modify the way you want it. If you dont like their air dam, hack it off and replace it! I'm fairly certain I'll be using this kit, but body mods are a LONG ways off yet, so I'll be patient.

Does anyone know if headlight covers are made for this nose? It doesn't look like the stock ones will fit. I can make some if I have to, but premade ones always seem to turnout better.

Guest smokin280ZX

Hey I'm G and I'm new also. I wanna know how hard you think it would be to try and put a 240SX front air dam on a 280ZX?

and Chewievette guy what type of aircraft do you work on?

Hey I'm G and I'm new also. I wanna know how hard you think it would be to try and put a 240SX front air dam on a 280ZX?

and Chewievette guy what type of aircraft do you work on?

You Might get it to fit. but without acctually test fitting it, You cant really tell. But in a word, Yes you can get it to fit. It just depends on how much time, effort, sawing, and fiberglassing you want to do.

I work on a couple of different plane around the shop here, they include:

Cessna 310

Beech 18

Beech E50

Beech Bonanza

and a couple others...

Guest smokin280ZX

the only reason I asked is because I am buying my kits and such online and having them sent to my house in texas. I would go out and measure up both cars and look around to see what I could do , but I kinda have no access to either type of vehicle.

And I work on CH-47's