HybridZ

JTR radiator and Taurus fan fitment.

• 2 weeks later...

Dale,

as you may have read in my post about taurus and scarab ...

i'm trying to figure out how if replacing the 4 core in my scarab 240z, with the JTR radiator is going to give me the clearance to fit the taurus fan between the water pump and the radiator.

how are you mounting the radiator ? how thick is the radiator ? any pix of the radiator mounted ? if so, please email em to me. maybe from the pix i can figure out what to do.

with the 4 core rad. the long water pump, there is no room for the fan. looks like i need another inch or so.

trying to figure out, if the jtr radiator will give me the room i need.

thanks, wayne

thanks, wayne

See the attached link which shows the JTR radiator installation instructions for mounting the radiator in a 6 cylinder Z.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/6-cyl-Datsun-chapter/12-Cooling_System-7.5.pdf

For people who do not realize this, JTR is a very small business (2 brothers and an answering service than answers the phone when the phone line is busy). Only one brother answers the phone, the other brother (MikeJTR) has personality problems, and is not allowed to speak to customers.

I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures of the new radiator brackets mounted in a sbc V8 Z, because we only began selling the new brackets this year, and have not had a chance to photogragh any V8 cars with these mounting brackets.

JTR has not had a V8 Z for over ten years, and the books are updated by getting information from local people who have V8 Zs.

To help answer your question, the front-to-back dimension of the upper bracket is nearly three inches. If you add the thickness of the Taurus radiator, this should give you the information you need to know to determine if this set-up will fit in your appliation.

We now have the aluminum vertical flat bar in stock, drilled and tapped for attaching to the upper and lower radiator brackets (you will still have to drill and tap holes in the flat bar for your particular application). We began offering this when we made the ZX radiator brackets because of different mounting requirements (see following link):

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DATZX_Radiator_Kit.html

If you order the radiator and mounting kit, we can add the 2 aluminum flat bars for another $10, however, this information is not on our website.

Mike, thanks for the info. will need to wait on a profit sharing check, and if it's large enough ( bills to be paid ), i'll be driving up to livermore to pick up the kit.

website says $250 ... is that for the 6 kit or the V8 kit ?

i'm guessing the V8 doesn't need the hoses and bushing hose adapters ??

wayne

I have spoken to both brothers at one time or another over the past several years. All I can say is that if either one has a personality problem (I assume you are referring to Mike), that I wish everyone had that personality problem. Both have been more than helpful, bending over backwards to help me with my questions. I wish all businesses had the personality problem that MikeJTR is talking about!!! Mike even went to the extent of sending me a book that we were discussing for FREE!

Long live JTR….send them your business!

Greg

Mike told Greg that i called ... Greg called me back, offered some advise for my z with 350 v8. spent about 15 minutes with me, no rush to get me off the phone. guess as soon as i can scrape 250 bucks together ... 140 for radiator, 60 for the brackets, hoses and shipping ...

the high volume water pump is on the way ... now just to figure out the brackets and pulleys ...

i hate this engineering on the fly B.S.

... this is why i have so much money in a car that isn't street worthy .... yeah, i coulda borrowed money and bought me a nice looking V8 z.

but, it wouldn't be mine ... i'da paid for it ... but i wouldn't know it ... gotta turn the wrench for it to be mine ...

• 2 weeks later...

3 pm yesterday, on the phone to JTR, spoke with Greg, heard Mike in the background ...

broke out my battered and bruised credit card, oughta just tape it to the back of the z, let vendors and ebay auctioneers, swing by and swipe it through their machines ...

after a little crying on Greg's shoulder, ordered the stealth radiator, mounting kit and electric fan brackets ...

today at 3pm, box of goodies was on my porch ...

Greg was nice enough to toss in a brand new JTR book as a party gift ... what a guy !!! i have the older book, man lots of new info ... well worth a read ... gonna make me re-think some of the scarab engineer, and some of the stuff the previous owner did ...

radiator is SO pretty ... i opened the box, and stood there admiring it ... still in the box ... a work of art, afraid to disturb it ... man that's gonna look good under the hood ( wait ... look at my av ... i have no hood ... supposedly still at the ex-body shop owner's house ... ), never mind that ... after all my whining and pondering ...

i will be able to see if that taurus fan is gonna fit ... might tear into it tonight ... supposed to be in the low 40's upper 30's ... on the driveway ... maybe drain the old 4 core, get it out ... it's cherry too , copper and brass ... the original scarab spec radiator, supposedly came with the kit.

fingers crossed, i'm this close to getting the taurus fan to fit.

i also bought a stewart hi-flow short water pump, if i get lucky, i won't have to use it ...swapping it in place of the long pump, means making or finding new brackets to remount all the belt driven accessories ... and new pulleys ... the short pump will add an inch more clearance ...

• 3 months later...
Guest 73LT1Z
... the other brother (MikeJTR) has personality problems' date=' and is not allowed to speak to customers.

[/quote']

A moot point anyway, I tried to call and the phone # listed was for the Yugo Owner's Club. I called AT&T (aka TPC) directory assistance & was told the # was unlisted :D.

I then complained to TPC and got referred to security, and now hear this strange clicking on my phone line when I use it :P .

I was then going to send an email, but realized it probably wouldn't have helped with all the rampant greed on the part of illegitimate sons out there in California ;).

Great book, BTW.

this is the number i reached Greg at ...

(925) 462-3619,9:00 a.m.–4:45 p.m. PST

FAX: (925) 846-3642, any time.

i did get the ans mach a few times. Greg called me back the next day.

when Greg was near the phone, he usually picked up on the 3rd ring. he spent about 10 mins on the phone with me. he made suggestions that might work for me, as alternatives, should i not be able to afford or want his products.

i ordered my radiator, fan brackets and, mounts on the phone, credit card, at around 2:45 pm. radiator was waiting for me, at the front door, when i got home from work the next day.

haven't installed it yet, still working on the alt bracket ... and hard to get anything done in the rain out on the driveway.

anyway, try that number again ...

Guest 73LT1Z

Thanks for the info, but my post was tounge-in-cheek after having read a couple of his books & it was in reference to his phone problems.

In the linked movie The President's Analyst, TPC stood for The Phone Company, which was an all-powerful entity.

See also:

http://mikeandmabell.com/

:)

For those who are aware of my phone problems, I went through a Formal Complaint process with the California Public Utilities Commission, beginning in July, 2001.

After I filed the Complaint, the Pacific Bell/SBC Attorney ordered testing and repair work. 4 repair trucks showed up on my street. I photographed the internal documents the technicians were using.

When the Pacific Bell/SBC Attorney saw these photographs at the First Prehearing Conference, he began to sweat. He resigned from the case.

The photographs proved that 3 out of 4 of my phone lines were defective, and had been defective for years. The photograph that proves this is shown on this link:

http://www.MikeAndMaBell.com/362.html

After getting on this link, you can scroll to the "previous" and "next" photographs.

To make a long story short, there is a partial phone number that can be seen midway down the document with the last five digits of "25093 RSA". I am the only person on the document with the "RSA" service. When the document I photographed is combined with other documents, it proves Pacific Bell was knowingly using at least one defective phone line to provide service to my premises since 1996, when it had offered me $2000.

How did Pacific Bell/SBC respond about the phone number? Pacific Bell/SBC told the Commission the last five digits of the phone number are "85093" and that the phone number is not mine. Any reasonable person can see the last five digits are "25093." How did the Commission respond? The Commission sidestepped the issue.

If it is ever proven the phone number is mine, the Attorney could be facing felony charges for defrauding the State of California. If Pacific Bell/SBC would have admitted the phone number was mine, the minimum fine would have been $800,000 which would have gone to the California State General Fund. The maximum fines could now exceed $150 million.

The documents I photographed prove the Pacific Bell Regional Manager who offered me $2000 in 1996 was altering repair records and using defective phone lines to reduce maintenance costs. He is now vice president of SBC repair for Northern California.

More to come...

Guest 73LT1Z
...He is now vice president of SBC repair for Northern California.

More to come...

That all took place pre-Arnie ;). I think he would be Terminated these days instead of promoted.

:D

• 5 months later...

I was conducting a search for the Taurus 2 speed fan and came across this thread. I saw that Mike JTR did not have a picture of their new radiator mounts in a V8 Z so I thought that I would help them and anyone else out by posting mine.

The radiator and mounts are from JTR. I used an upper radiator hose from Gates with the part number being GAT 20823. This hose almost fit with no trimming. I used a lower hose from Gates with the part number being GAT 20923. However, this hose did not have a spring inside for reinforcement so I will be looking for another one soon.

The information I have gathered so far on the Taurus fan is that I need to get the two-speed fan from a 1990 and newer Taurus with the 3.8-liter engine. Does this sound correct?

JTR_Rad_mount004.JPG

JTR_Rad_mount003.JPG

JTR_Rad_mount002.JPG

JTR_Rad_mount001.JPG

I may go with a flex a lite fan some day but right now like some of the others have said $25 bucks for a Taurus fan is good for me ;)

I drove down to the nearest salvage yard and wallah, I had my Taurus fan in about 10 minutes.

I looked at the new fan that you are referencing and I like the way it looks. When I tear down my Z in the not so distant future I may consider the flex a lite. Right now the Taurus fan will do for me.