HybridZ

New Ford Project

sulla

Just wanted to say hi to every one and give them some background since I am new to the board.

I have had Zcars since I was about 17 (34 now) and being a big Ford fan also I decided to start working on a V8 Small Block Ford Conversion for a 240z. It seems that watching the video of Darias and his 240z gave me the bug again to get busy and use some of the parts etc I have and build the z I have always wanted.

The plan at the moment is to...

1. Find a nice strait 240z to start from. All I have at the moment are 4 parts cars and other parts as my last driver was totaled when a car hit me from behind.

2. Add the pieces I have at the moment that include larger sway bars front and back (for 280z any one know if they will work have not had time to research it yet?) sport springs, imsa style flairs, small BRE style tail etc. And of course upgrade the brakes, wheels, remaning bushings etc and add the Type 3 Fiberglass Air Dam.

3. Finish researching V8 conversion and start ordering all the parts and buying the donar cars etc. I would like to go with a FI 351w and a T5 if it will fit. The only thread I have found the person could not get the 351w to fit. If any one knows if he has it going I live close to the Arlington Texas area he lives in and would love to see it. Any way I figure put in as many cubic inches as possible to start with to save money on building horse power later.

4. Or I just do the smart thing money wise and buy one that someone else already spent the time and money on, let them take the loss and I will just do small updates and drive it:)

Any way glad to finaly find this great resource and look forward to learning a lot from every one on the board.

PS If any one has a nice strait 240z in Texas and the price is right let me know.

So far the only real drawbacks to the ford strokers that I have found are the thickness of the cylinder walls after you have to bore them out. That and price of the kits, but that is the case for any stroker kit just about. I still toy with the idea of the 347 but like you said let's just see how the money does.

Welcome man.. I was going to do a 351 swap too.. couldn't figure out what to do about the oil pan either.. I think there may have been a way to use the 302 pan and relocate the sump.. but I could be way off on that.

As for the sway bars, I believe the front bar will work on a 240 (as I have a 240 bar on my 280) but the rear wil not. I troed using a 240 rear bar in my 280 and it was... bad. I supose you couls use the 280 bar though, if you built custom mounts for it. I assume you'd be putting a frame under the 240 (351W is gona have some ballz!), so that would be a good place to put the brackets. (280 bar's mount in front of the rear suspension, 240's were behind.. shorter bar too i think) Good luck with this man! :)

If you can find one coverted that is a savings I think. Of course there are always limitations... on how things were build it. Thats what I did and still had to go through the whole car except the motor and body paint. It was still a ton of work to make it a reality. But the story was there and that is worth something if you are starting new again.

I have tremdous respect for those with the passion that start from scratch.

Why do you guys believe the front sump oil pan is a problem?

Just notch the back of the cross member and then add a metal plate across the top of the cross member if you're worried about weakening it!

At this year's HybridZ show in Rio Vista, several Z's were sporting SBF's and at least TWO of those used a front sump. And one of those was running shorty style headers to boot all under the stock hood!

Mark

Jonzer12,

You are probably thinking of this site. http://zcar.netdojo.com/main.htm

The guy's name is Al Silveria and his alias here is alsil. He and a friend sell a crossmember mount for the SBF that works very well. It goes for $125.00 including shipping I think. It places the enigne a little high in the bay to use the stock Ford EFI but that can be adjusted or just switch to an aftermarket setup or carb.

I believe he used a dual sump pan from a late model Mustang.

Ford trucks do not have dual or rear sump pans.

I was going to go the Ford route myself but ran across a great deal on a Caprice Cop car with an LT1 in it and decided to do that. There are times now when I wish I had stuck with my original plan. Putting together an accessory bracket system to run the alternator is turning out to be a pain in the neck. :? That is the last problem I need to solve before I can start final assembly.

If I do another Z it will definitely get a 302!!! I guess I could sell the parts I've collected for the LT1 swap and still do a 302. Anyone interested??? :D

I Can believe I'm even contemplating it!!! :shock::shock:

Good luck with your swap and keep us updated on your progress.

Wheelman

Thanks for the warm welcome. As soon as I find a good new z to start with I can start getting serios about the motor. It seems like a 351w running a carb would be the easest way to go and the cheapest also.

Just found a 240 down the road from my house sitting that looks like it does not run with no rust. Now I just need to catch the people home and see if they will sell it to me. Well to be more exact sell it to me CHEAP and I am cheap hehe.

Jonzer12' date='

You are probably thinking of this site. http://zcar.netdojo.com/main.htm

The guy's name is Al Silveria and his alias here is alsil. He and a friend sell a crossmember mount for the SBF that works very well. It goes for $125.00 including shipping I think. It places the enigne a little high in the bay to use the stock Ford EFI but that can be adjusted or just switch to an aftermarket setup or carb.

I believe he used a dual sump pan from a late model Mustang.

Ford trucks do not have dual or rear sump pans.

I was going to go the Ford route myself but ran across a great deal on a Caprice Cop car with an LT1 in it and decided to do that. There are times now when I wish I had stuck with my original plan. Putting together an accessory bracket system to run the alternator is turning out to be a pain in the neck. :? That is the last problem I need to solve before I can start final assembly.

If I do another Z it will definitely get a 302!!! I guess I could sell the parts I've collected for the LT1 swap and still do a 302. Anyone interested??? :D

I Can believe I'm even contemplating it!!! :shock::shock:

Good luck with your swap and keep us updated on your progress.

Wheelman[/quote']

I remember the site you mention but I am thinking about another one, I remember he did the swap for something like 1200 dollars, he used exhaust manifolds, different on each side if I remember, I also remember that he wrote that he just welded the spedo wires together and it worked. (Just to help jog someones memory). I think his Z was blue. The site also had pictures of some of his brother's projects as well. It did have some good information on it as to what stock parts he managed to use. Its been a year or so since I last found site thats all I can remember. Not sure if he was a hybridz.org member. Hopefully someone recognizes what I am talking about and has a link.

I also followed the above link to put my 82 SBF 5.0 stang into my 240. I sort of picked Captain Zorro's brain, as well as a few others. I used the stock exhaust manifolds off an 81 Granada, along with the C4 tranny. It cost me less than 20 bux for the mounts. I ended up using the stock ford mounting plate that the mounts bolt to. Then some flat stock bolted to the plate, with a 1"x1 1/2"x1 1/2" block bolted to the front of that plate, then another plate bolted to the stock 240 mounts. I bolted all this together then after checking my angles and clearences, I had it welded up. I can close the hood using a 14" aftermarket air filter, but not with the stock filter. The engine sets a tad bit on the high side, but I can live with it. I have a lot of room all around the engine. So far, this is the cheapest and easiest swap I've ever done.

I've thought more than once about modifying the front crossmember. I have a few extra hanging around. I know if I just had that little extra half inch to play with, I could have set it lower and further back. I don't know where that would have put my steering shaft. Oh well, who knows. I still may do it. lol God, I love modifications.