HybridZ

Braker Master Cylinder rebuild or replace

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

I have the original 78-280z 2+2 brake setup. I've known my master cylinder has been going for some time It has black tinted fluid and it needs fluid added every so often. And it's getting worse.

Should I replace, rebuild, or put in something completely different?

Replace with a new unit is roughly $110.00 (+ shipping). I could get a junkyard master for probably about 35.00, but what would be the point in replacing with another 25+ year old part?

A rebuild kit (probably just the rubber gaskets/seals) is about $25.00 (+ shipping), The idea learning how to rebuild the original part is appealing. How hard is the rebuild? Am I getting into more work and effort than it is worth?

Another option is replacing it with a part from a differnt year or different model car. If so what year and model will go in with little modification.

Thanks for any input!

-Tony

I agree with Miles.....just suck it up and buy a new unit. Rebuilding one with new diaphram is less expensive but you will need to fabricate (or buy) the tool required to disassemble the mastervac. It has a big ole spring in it that can hurt you if it flies into your face or other body parts.