HybridZ

Widening tranny tunnel... how much is enuff

Guest zcarjim

Guest zcarjim

Just curious- before I play Vehicular Limbo w/ my 240... how much does the tranny tunnel need to be beaten before there is enuff clearance... I absolutley love this site, just having trouble searching for this subject or I wouldn't be asking this way... Thanks to all for their contributions !!

Thanks for any/all help...

-Jim

What are you clearancing it for?

T5 - None needed, although you'll need to cut the tranny ears off depending on your car's stock mounting scheme.

700r4, 4L60E and T56 - Cut tranny mount ears off, do a test fit, beat the points that touch until nothing touches.

Other trannies - ?, same basic procedure as listed above.

It's really a trial and error procedure and if you use the JTR crossmember you may need to do some clearancing for it.

Wheelman

Guest zcarjim

Thanks Wheelman... (lol) I posted this message after comming down off of the roof from hanging X-mas lights... I think my brain was still a little frosted over! I never told you what tranny I was using. I got a sweet deal on an 86 Suburban (350 w/ a TH350) thought I would test it out. My '72 is in pretty good shape, I just don't have a big money nut to finance a once-and-final project. Sooo I'll start there and eventually install my 350 60 over and a 6 speed tranny if everything holds up...

Thanks again !!

-Jim

I never told you what tranny I was using. I got a sweet deal on an 86 Suburban (350 w/ a TH350) thought I would test it out. My '72 is in pretty good shape' date=' I just don't have a big money nut to finance a once-and-final project. Sooo I'll start there and eventually install my 350 60 over and a 6 speed tranny if everything holds up...

-Jim[/quote']

Don't use the TH350. You will be sorry the minute you take it for a drive. You need an overdrive trans or the car will be bad on the highway. 65mph will equal 3500rpms or so with a stock 3.36:1 240Z diff.

I never told you what tranny I was using. I got a sweet deal on an 86 Suburban (350 w/ a TH350) thought I would test it out. My '72 is in pretty good shape' date=' I just don't have a big money nut to finance a once-and-final project. Sooo I'll start there and eventually install my 350 60 over and a 6 speed tranny if everything holds up...

-Jim[/quote']

Don't use the TH350. You will be sorry the minute you take it for a drive. You need an overdrive trans or the car will be bad on the highway. 65mph will equal 3500rpms or so with a stock 3.36:1 240Z diff.

ehh...

depends on taste...

the th-350 is cheap, strong, and did i mention cheap? they'll take some good torque before building them up and some good torque after.

i'm at about 3400 or so at 70 with 3.55 gear...

all depends on gear and tires.