HybridZ

Subaru EJ20 engine swap?

HeatRaveR

We have taled about it before so there is a thread somewhere. It would have been a couple of years ago i think. I went and measured my wifes gt legacy at the time but its gone now so i cant help with measurements. The ej 25 is about 30 inches wide. Should be the same as the ej20. If you can get it to fit above the frame rails it might work.

Douglas

That would be very cool. I'd like to see it.

However, I think that growl of the WRX is funny... its a deceiving sounding engine... you think its just cruising along, but its actually flying by when you look at it. I call it a "lazy" sounding engine. :lol:

Anyone of the WRX the EJ20 or EJ25 would be great, but fitting that awd tranny is going to be a PITA, unless there is a rwd tranny that can be substituted, which subaru does not make.

It seems cool but the cost of custom fitting the ej20 with a rwd tranny to end up with the same thing as an Sr20 would be ridiculous. If you are going to go through all that trouble i would go for the ej25 atleast the .5l advantage would be something to consider, even then I would take the rb25 would be easier and would yield similar results. The price of the E-Series Subaru engines are crazy they are like 5-9k for the ej20-ej25. I would rather get a skyline rb26dett and save 2-4 grand, but that is just my .02.

BUT the fact that it is different would be hella cool.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

THE NEW 2.5 STI MOTORS HAVE 2 CYL BEARING ISSUES AND SUBARU HAS EVEN DROPPED THE WARRANTY ON THE CARS BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE. AS FOR TRANSMISSIONS YOU COULD USE THE RB25DET TRANS WITH THE SUBY BELLHOUSING AND ADAPTER.... YOU WILL NOTICE MORE POWER AND BETTER RELIABILITY WITH THE EJ20 AND TWIN TURBOS.

Lets talk about the actual pros/cons from doing this swap. . .

Pros:

-lower and farther back center of gravity.

-exhaust note(for some)

-it'll be different

Cons:

-Cost and Fabrication--prepare to spend MORE than the RB26 swap. (Don't forget, the STi is not a '95 civic. You are not going to find a whole lot of parts at your local junk yard )

-horrible serviceability--even if you can get it in there, the simplest task of changing spark plugs will become a mechanic's nightmare. . . I've thought about doing this swap into my 240SX, but opted not to after some quick measurements--and the Z's even narrower than the SX

-Power--for the price, you could get a RB26 or practically any motor.

Despite some of the AWD RWD tranny issues ppl are talking about, it really won't be a big problem. Actually, I'm speculating w/ the 6sp. I have, however, seen several RWD WRXs w/ the 5sp. From what I've been told, all you have to do is to remove the driveshafts (unlike the GTR, EVO, and the majority of the other AWD transmissions)

I'd say go w/ an I-4 (SR, 3SGTE) for handling and weight, and the I-6 turbo (1or2JZ, RB25or6) or a V8 (. . . sorry, I'm not sure here) for power. It's a neat idea, but you have to wonder if it's really worth it.

ej20 turbos have been made since the late 80's. They dont need to be expensive.You can pick them up for less then $500 nz these days. I will messure the distance between the fame rails this afternoon on my z. Changing the spark plugs on a subaru is always a pain. Thats why the have super expensive plugs that dont need changing often.