HybridZ

Engine advice - Possiblities for my ZX project ???

Guest MelinaZX300

Guest MelinaZX300

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. A few months ago I bought a Z31 1986 300zx Non-Turbo. Since then I have been working on getting the interior and wiring into shape. This is my first Import car and although I was looking for a different type of project to get involved in,... I'm not really sure where to start on this car and I want to steer the project in a certain direction. (need to know which direction to go in) I'm very familiar with Chevy engines and have had a Camaro, Nova, Monte Carlo, and still have my pride and joy,... my 71 Chevelle SS. This car is to be a present to my wife. We agreed that this would be a good project for both of us. She really loves the car. Anyway,... In my everlasing quest for "MORE POWER" I have been searching for a way to spice things up a bit with this Z. The only problem is that I know NOTHING about Japaneese cars; this is a whole learning experience for me. My question begins with what is the most common of engine swaps for this car, and what is the most practical. If possible i would like to try and keep a japanesse motor in the car,... just because I'd like to get a little experience with these motors and for reasons like gas mileage. I'm looking to make about 280-300 horsepower. (something with turbo or JDM related would be nice) With all the different makes and models of 6 cylinder engines,.. what are some common possibilites for this car. I'm within a budget of about $1200. Also,... If a 350 chevy is the way to go,... how complicated is it to install an engine like this into a car like this. What scares me most about these japaneese cars is all the solenoids, wires, and sensors running everywhere and I really have no idea how to successfully disconnect and reconnect them,... thanks for the info,....

Dan

Do some searching.. Someone on the board has a 300zx w/ a LS1 in it I believe. But for a $1200 budget I do not think you can hope for much. If you could gather up some extra money, the turbo option would involve buying at least the turbo, intercooler, wastegate, BOV, exhaust manifold/header, and piping it all together.

If you went with a LS1 or SBC engine, you would need engine mounts and tranny adapters(maybe).. Do some searching for LS1 and Z31 and see what you find :)

First off, I'd look into getting a 300zx (85-89 I guess..) that HAS the turbo driveline. IE; a running car that's been hit/rusted out, cheep. (I found one a few months back I could have got for $500. Ran great, but was rotten and interior was trashed.) That will get you the LSD rear diff (which you'll want with anywhere near 300 HP) and all the required turbo/ecu/ect you'll need for a turbo swap. With a few mods/tweaks, the turbo V6 can kick out some good power. Not sure if 300whp is do-able for the $1200 range, but I'm betting you could get 225-250 if you can do your own fab work, and spend the $$ wisely. As for the wiring, the electrical really isn't that bad in the older z's in my opinion.. Have you looked at any newer domestic car lately? :lol: At LEAST as complex (ussualy more) as an old Nissan system! Good luck with the project man. :)

Guest MelinaZX300

Thanks for the input guys,...

I was just wondering which direction I should be taking the project in. I am used to working on domestic cars, so working on a camaro or a monte carlo, grand prix, whatever,... would be a breeze... its just that I am not familiar with Japanese style of wiring and such. Anyway,... Ill have to see which is the best direction to go in. It might just be to go with a LS1 or something. I have accessibility to a 350 chevy engine in pretty decent shape but its carbed and I'm not so sure I want to go in that direction with this project anyway. I'm looking for something a little more,.... Import? Anyway,... Ill seach Z31/LS1 and Turbo swap... Just wondering though,... are there any other larger naturally aspirated engines that are Nissan related that would fit this model. I notice all these JDM engines on ebay for about $1000 bucks but I have no idea what how or what they fit. Thanks,

Dan

Guest MelinaZX300

Hello again,

Did a little research on Z31 - 300zx Engine Swaps... Theres hundreds of hits on Hybrid Z for 280Z, 280ZX, and 240Z engine swaps and practically nothing on 300zx. So,... does anyone make a kit for an LT1 Swap -- And/Or does anyone have a site I can get some information on engine swaps specifically for 300zx.... Thanks,

Dan

Guest BikerTrash

I am not sure if this will fit lenghtwise in a 300 but I saw in SCC last issue some one had swapped in an SR20DET into a 240z. It is a very compact engine, highly tuneable, andI have seen them going (the older ones with the redcam covers) for about what you are looking to spend, would be spending your entire budget just on an engine. I think the redcap engine stock was making about 190hp (actualy I think 212 but I dont want to get your hopes up) I looked into them for a while when i was thinking of swapping into a 240SX. I decided not to do the project because they are getting way to comon(saw two of them for sale with the swap done the same week in the local want adds) and they overheat baddly with the stock cooling in a 240sx.

I am fairly sure that a radiator ment for a 3.0 NA engien can handle the cooling requirements for a 2.0 turbo though.

New to Z cars but just wanted to throw it out to you.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest vmaxnelson

I too am looking for info on 300zx swap. I have a 1984 300zx turbo which i am planning to swap the motor and trans out of an 1989 iroc, that i acquired in an accident, into, but want to know what i am getting myself into first. so any help on the 300zx swap would b helpful.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have been putting a 350 in my '84 NA since sometime before the war of 1812. Actually its a pretty easy swap if you aren't driving truck. (120,000 miles a year don't give you a lot of time) I am finally ready to take it to the exhaust shop, then paint jail. If you go chevy, and I can be of any help, just let me know.