HybridZ

BILLET FUEL DOOR SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED

Guest ZracecarZ

Guest ZracecarZ

I've put off trying to install a billet fuel door for weeks, but I finally had to tackle it in order to blend the area around the door into my recent fender flare modification.

Here's how I did it if anyone is interested...

The first problems I ran in to were that the billet cover was wider than the body lines at the OEM location and the filler box was too small to allow for the billet cover touch latch. At first I was going to lower the location straight down to where the body panel was "flatter." I decided not to because of the PITA of shortening the filler tube and trying to anticipate the change in body angle in relation to the angle of the filler box bottom.

To fab a larger filler box I made a form out of floral foam shaped to match the body at the OEM location. I made sure all of my corners were nice and radius-ed and that the bottom of the form matched the angle of the OEM box. Next, I went with two layers of fiberglass mat and resin over the form and pulled out the foam (no release agent, just a putty knife and sandpaper). I used body filler on the inside of the box to make it nice and smooth.

I then cut out the bottom of the OEM box about 1" around the perimeter of

the filler tube opening. Basically I ended up with a flange that still had

the nut spacing that I then resin-ed and glassed over to attach it to the

bottom of the new filler box. Hole sawed out the center after it dried and

used resin and mat to bond it to the inside of the freshly stripped interior

(I should point out that I had already welded in the OEM filler door opening with heavy guage steel and cut out an opening that matched the billet cover and then body filled a nice flat surface).

After the new box was bonded on, I covered the whole backside in tiger hair. On the inside edge I plan to use seam sealer before I prime and paint. I put two layers of masking tape on the billet cover and bolted it in place centered between the two body lines that run above and below the original opening. The tape was obviously intended to keep body filler off the new cover, but also should allow for the high-build primer and paint to go on. Then I body filled the space between the body and the billet cover and formed a 1/4" rim all the way around that blends into the contour of the body. Now I can continue body filling the fender flare up to it.

It may not have been the best way to do it, but it looks alright. Interested to hear what other's think of it.

Also, countless thanks to Terry Oxandale's many posts and step-by-step photo dispays.

ba58.jpg?phwkLsBBMmUplYuo

78e9.jpg?phwkLsBBaIfSXlVy