HybridZ

got a free l24 w/ turbo - what to do

heavy85

I am in the process of freshening up my F54 / P79 L28 (cam, shaved head, tripple mikunis, MSD, etc) but was just given an l24 with an 80's turbo set-up on it and am wondering if I should build it instead. I know the torbo engine has been sitting on the garage floor for at least 12-15 years and it originally came out of a 240Z because the car was wrecked. It's got a Rajay turbo (compressor looks perfect, turbine is oily with a lot of carbon build-up) on a pull through single SU - the SU bolts directly to the turbo inlet. Long term down the road I would really like a turbo set-up but was going to be content with my existing engine for a while ..... but before I send my l28 in for a valva job is there any value in trying to get this turbo set-up going?

Thanks

Cameron

You are much better of with the L28. Carbureted turbo setups are very problematic. And with the L24 CR (8.5:1), it's difficult to control detonation, the result being lower boost pressure and power. I know, I had one. I'm running a fuel injected L28ET now, and I'm extremely happy with it.

Pete