HybridZ

Adapting Hooker SBC swap headers?

Sven

I've been tossing this one around for a while. I searched and all I get is the usual newbie "Has anyone ever done a Ford Z" posts.

- I'm just not real satisfied with the idea of using restrictive blockhuggers with tiny collectors and foot long primaries on a built motor. Sure, OK for a street rod... But I've already put alot into my motor, just to choke it off. My AFR 185's deserve a bit more. Custom made long tube headers would end up being a small fortune.

Has anyone attempted to adapt a set of the Hooker SBC/Z headers (2147HKR)? Every header manufacturer sells the SBF flanges, or you could just cut up a cheap set of Ebay specials. It would take some cutting & welding of primary tubes to make the center ports line up, but it seems doable. This would give you a Ford long tube header that fits the Z frame/floorpan and steering arrangement, which seems to be the major stumbling block. Of course, engine position would dictate whether it would fit nicely or not, but it should be fairly close.

-Any thoughts or experiences?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody done it? I too don't like the block huggers because of the sharp turn after the collector. My first choice would be an unequal length shorty header exiting closer to the motor mount but slanting toward the rear. Is there a HP factory cast iron manifold that exits in good location I could maybe port and extrude hone capable of handling a 350 ft lbs torque engine?

Will