HybridZ

Exhaust Gasket

Chewievette

The exhaust gasket is bad on my 280zx and I'm curious about swapping it out. I see in the repair manual that the intake and exhaust gasket are the same piece. I'd like to know how to replace it. I need to know if its possible to just inbolt the manifolds and pull them away from the head enough to swap the gaskets? It seems like there's a lot involved in removing the intake manifold so I'd like to avoid it if possible. Any tips or hints are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hehe......the good old blown exhaust manifold gasket. :lol: Right before I started the motor swap on my 280ZX I blew that gasket on my L28E. I dont think there is an easy way about going about it. I know I took off the whole intake and then just pulled the header back enough to get the gasket in there. But I dont think its possible to just slid it in there with the intake onlike you want to do.

Yeah its a PITA but its a pretty straight forward fix. Just mark all those vacuum lines so you know where they all go when you put it back together!

Good luck!

Guy

I'm taking a quess here, but I think he's talking about shaving down the intake flanges to match the exhaust manifold flange thickness, so even pressure will be applied to each flange when tightening down the fixing nuts. Generally speaking, header flanges are thinner than the stock intake flanges. I'm curious to find out if this is a good quess? For my set-up, I just machined a set of stepped washers to accomplish the same thing. I would be concerned about fatigue on a thinned down aluminum flange, but hey...I might just be overly cautious.